Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused!

Unhappy Confused!

My baby boy is almost four weeks. We are still having trouble bf. Even after he eats my breasts are still full. I hear him gulping, but only for about 8mins. While doing a breast compression the milk shoots out forcefully.He has green stools 2x's a day. I'm worried my milk is giving him diarreaha. His latch is never that great. Plus my nipples stick out only a bit & have very large breast. If I hold him in the correct positions he screams his little head off. I'm not coordinated enough to do anything but the cross cradle hold. He has gas and is very fussy. He also still wants to eat every hour. I don't have much of a break from my baby boy because his dad works two jobs. This makes pumping for a few minutes to relieve some discomfort nearly impossible. My DH and I don't like giving him formula. He vomits. Still am I any better giving him watery green stools?
    My pump is a hospital grade Medela Classic. When baby was a week old and sleeping alot I was pumping two oz occasionally as a check for milk supply. Not an issue now though. Will he grow out of his latch problems? I'm like many other moms on here-even unlatching and relatching over & over doesn't seem to improve his skills. I don't have much soreness because he doesn't have to work hard since my milk pores out with little effort. So continuing even though he isn't a nursing pro wouldn't bother me. I just don't want him to be sick. All advice is appreciated. I feel completely lost right now. So many questions, and worries!

Is he eating enough?
    Has he gained weight?
    Will I forever sleep sitting up?
    Is this poo right?
    Why is he crying at the breast after eating for a few minutes?
    When is he finished eating?
    Why won't he open his mouth more than half way?
    Is this the right latch?

Sorry to ramble, he is my last, & I desperately want to nurse him for at least his first year. My M.S. stopped me from bf my other children,but with diagnosis/treatment I feel like I can accomplish it this time.

Default Re: Confused!

don't be afraid to get a hold of your local leader she can answer all your ?"s
    look her up in the gray bar on the top
    pick usa and then your state.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/index.html

Watery green stools may not be much of a problem. Bf babies rarely have diarreaha. My little on just recently started having the yellow curdy poop. Before that it was green and somewhat soupy. I would be more concerned if he wasn't having wet and poopy diapers, and if he seems to be gaining weight well then you're probably doing just fine. And don't worry if he has lots of those green poopy diapers...my little guy is just now having them every other diaper change. Before he would poop every time he would nurse lol. I wold definately take Andrea's advice though, or talk with your ped about it. He/she could ease your mind about the diarreaha and weight gain.

Oh those first weeks can be so rough and you're doing a great job hang in there!! I think for many women there's a significant period of adjustment to nursing. I remember wanting to quit SO BADLY for the first 6 weeks but then I turned the corner and I was so grateful that I kept the faith...

Quote Originally Posted by 2sleepy2eat View Post
    My baby boy is almost four weeks. We are still having trouble bf. Even after he eats my breasts are still full.
    It can take 6-8 weeks for your supply to adjust. Are you feeling uncomfortably full after the feedings? If so, it's okay to pump off enough to make yourself feel comfortable. Some people worry that if they pump more, they'll make more, and that's true to some extent but only if you pump a whole lot.

I hear him gulping, but only for about 8mins. While doing a breast compression the milk shoots out forcefully.He has green stools 2x's a day. I'm worried my milk is giving him diarreaha.
    Seedy or runny and yellowish or greenish is totally okay. Remember that breastmilk poop is a lot looser than formula poop. At times LO's poop was very runny. If it was diarrhea, it would be much more frequent than twice a day and very foul smelling. Two poops a day is within the normal range. How many wet diapers is he making?

Check this link: The Color of the Day: Solving Bowel Movement Mysteries

His latch is never that great. Plus my nipples stick out only a bit & have very large breast. If I hold him in the correct positions he screams his little head off. I'm not coordinated enough to do anything but the cross cradle hold.
    What's wrong with the latch, are you having pain? I remember feeling very awkward holding DD in the right position at first. Sometimes when they're small it's hard, particularly if you're large-busted. Do you have a Boppy or some other kind of nursing pillow?

He has gas and is very fussy. He also still wants to eat every hour.
    That's hard, I know it. He could be having a growth spurt. The gas and fussiness are, unfortunately, very common. So is the constant nursing. I dealt with it by just putting a rocking chair in front of the television and letting a lot of the cleaning go. This won't last forever, and when you come out the other end of the tunnel, you'll be proud of yourself. It's a hard thing for sure. There are some good techniques for coping with a fussy baby in this link:

My baby is fussy-- is something wrong?

And also more information I think you might find useful here:

Cluster Feeding and Fussy Evenings
    Gassiness in babies
    Frequent Nursing

I don't have much of a break from my baby boy because his dad works two jobs. This makes pumping for a few minutes to relieve some discomfort nearly impossible.
    Oh I am sorry to hear that! You must feel pretty overwhelmed. Is there any way to make the pumping a little easier for you? Is there anyone who might be able to come over and give you a break even just for a few minutes?

My pump is a hospital grade Medela Classic. When baby was a week old and sleeping alot I was pumping two oz occasionally as a check for milk supply.
    I just want to let you know that the amount you pump can be very misleading in terms of figuring out if you've got a supply problem or not. Many women can only pump a very small amount, or the amount they can pump really decreases over time, and they worry about that for no reason.

Will he grow out of his latch problems? I'm like many other moms on here-even unlatching and relatching over & over doesn't seem to improve his skills. I don't have much soreness because he doesn't have to work hard since my milk pores out with little effort. So continuing even though he isn't a nursing pro wouldn't bother me. I just don't want him to be sick. All advice is appreciated. I feel completely lost right now. So many questions, and worries!
    He'll get the hang of it, don't you worry! You might be a lot closer to getting over "the hump" than you think. You're doing a great job, don't stress about the poop, really it sounds like it's totally okay. You can always give a quick call to the pedi to ask if it sounds normal, maybe that might reassure you?

Is he eating enough?
    Diapers and weight gain are the best way to be sure. At 4 weeks you're looking for about aminimum of 2 poops and 6 wets a day. Baby should be alert, active, and meeting developmental milestones.

Has he gained weight?
    Call up your pedi and ask to bring baby in for a weight check, I'm sure they won't mind.

Will I forever sleep sitting up?
    Awwww, nope. Just seems like forever some days!

Is this poo right?
    Sounds within the range of normal.

Why is he crying at the breast after eating for a few minutes?
    Could be a number of reasons. Try looking here:

My baby fusses or cries during nursing-- what's the problem?

When is he finished eating?
    When he pulls off, falls asleep, or starts "flutter-sucking" for comfort instead of gulping and swallowing, then you can try switching him to the other side.

Why won't he open his mouth more than half way?
    So you're having trouble getting him to open really wide, is that right? Does he do it after a few tries tickling his cheek/lips? Or not at all?

Is this the right latch?
    Not having pain is a good sign. Having enough diapers is a good sign. If it's both effective and comfortable then it's okay. Look here.

Sorry to ramble, he is my last, & I desperately want to nurse him for at least his first year.
    You can do it!! You ARE doing it!!!!!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

it looks like you've already gotten some great advice from other mommas!! i just wanted you to know that you are not alone!! i have those exact same questions running through my head,...along with others!....and then as the weeks pass, a new set of questions come up. but, that's what i've found to be great about these forums. you quickly realize that you are not the only one and that there's a ton of support out there!! keep it up, you're doing great!

Hmm.. Some of what you mention sounds like you might be dealing with oversupply/overactive let-down (OS/OALD).

Green poop could be the result of your baby getting too much watery foremilk (the "skim" milk that comes out at the beginning of a feed) and not enough hindmilk (the fatty, creamy stuff that comes out at the end). This is something that can happen with oversupply.

The fact that you can forcefully shoot milk out when doing a breast compression also makes me suspect OS/OALD. A squirt or a dribble (or nothing at all!) is probably closer to the average response to a compression. And while it's normal to feel full in the early weeks of breastfeeding, if you're feeling full to the point of discomfort and wanting to pump, it could be evidence of OS.

Your baby's fussiness, gassiness, and difficulty latching also make me think OS/OALD. Fussiness can be the result of struggling with a forceful milk-ejection reflex- to imagine how a baby dealing with OALD feels, imagine drinking directly from a garden hose that it turned on full-blast. This is why babies of OALD moms rarely enjoy comfort nursing. Gassiness can be the result of too much foremilk- something about the lactose content, if I remember correctly- and also the result of struggling with a forceful milk stream, causing the baby to take in air. Some babies deal with OALD by clamping down on their moms' nipples, which might account for your son's imperfect latch. However, if you are not in pain I would not worry so much about the latch, even if it doesn't look quite like you think it should.

You mention that you're concerned about weight gain. This is an easy concern to deal with- just call your pediatrician and take your baby in for a weight check. As far as I know, it's not something that a doc will charge for- you just come in, plop your baby on a scale, and walk out with your curiosity satisfied.

The fact that your baby is gulping down milk for 8 minutes makes me think he's probably getting more than enough. In my personal experience, I found my letdowns (during which I could hear gulping) lasted about 1-3 minutes on each side, and my DD has always been in the higher percentiles for height and weight.

Okay, this post is becoming a novel. I'm going to wind it up by suggesting a trip to your local IBLC (International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant). She will be able to evaluate your baby's latch, your milk supply, and give you tips on how to fix any problems that you are having. There is no substitute for hands-on help! Take it from me- I had multiple visits with two IBCLCs, and if it wasn't for them, DD would have been a formula-fed baby.

s, and hang in there!

Hello,

Sorry if this sounds like I am hijacking your thread. Now, I have a 4 week old and probably experiencing exactly the same things that Mommy Confused! is. From the fantastic advice and encouraging words you have received from the other moms, I would like to think that my DS is having a good feed as he too does some good gulping for about 6-10 mins. And also when I do breast compressions (all the time actually) he gets the spurts and sprays (that he doesn't like). But how can one explain that he doesn't settle even after hours on the breast? Sometimes he falls asleep on the breast and I think, this is it, he's asleep now, and puts him down and the next minute, he's bellowing in anger, and wants more of the breast. Can you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by cakerawala View Post
    But how can one explain that he doesn't settle even after hours on the breast? Sometimes he falls asleep on the breast and I think, this is it, he's asleep now, and puts him down and the next minute, he's bellowing in anger, and wants more of the breast. Can you explain?
    It's possible that he just doesn't like being put down. Some babies really love being close to their mamas and won't accept being alone. You might want to try wearing your baby in a sling and co-sleeping (if you're not doing these things already) and seeing if that makes a difference in your son's behavior.

After he is done and if you squeeze is the milk thick? or still dilute and pale white(almost blueish). If so may be he is not getting enough hind milk which give the poop its seedy,curdy look. Since you say he is gulping he is also taking is lot of air and hence is gassy.

You can try this for a day. I did it and it worked well. Try feeding from one breast for 2-3 or more feedings. Your other side will get full but may be you can express little bit to relieve. Check his stool. If it is improving (meaning becoming yellowish and seedy) then the problem could be that he was getting too much foremilk. Then repeat the 1 sided feeding for the otherside.
    In few days your breasts will adjust to make the right amount and you dont have to do this always.

Holding him upright will also help as well as you leaning back and letting him suck instead of it pouring down.

These are the usual problems of early days of BF. Dont worry you will get over it soon and will be posting your experience for others to read.

Had a weight check today. He lost 2oz. His pediatrician wants me to supplement with soy. I really don't want to give him formula. He always asks if I have enough milk. I could win a contest for milk shooting! lol
    I don't want to see his weight diminish either. Every appointment I feel as if he is pressuring me to put him on the bottle. I have a meeting with my local Le leche leader on Wensday. She happens to be the Dr. who delivered my oldest son. This is great for me, since I'm totally comfortable with her.
    His Ped. is going to recheck his weight on Thursday. Would any of you give him the supplement? He's had slight diarrhea. Maybe I'll give it to him in his cup from the hospital. I don't know!

His weight breakdown:
    Birth 6lbs 10oz
    2wks 7lbs 2oz
    4wks 7lbs 0oz