Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What veggies do you feed you little one?

Default What veggies do you feed you little one?

Hi everyone,

I'm about to start feeding my little one veggies and have a few questions about how to go about it. First of, I was thinking that it would probably be best to buy organic/raw veggies instead of frozen. So I started creating a list: peas (can you buy these not frozen?), corn, avocado, tomato, cucumber, ...hum need more ideas. The idea of feeding my lo mashed foods from a can doesn't really appeal to me, so I'm looking for veggies that are easy to mash and for him to eat. He's only 6.5 months right now. I haven't really started feeding him in a routine but I'm thinking of possibly doing veggies, oatmeal, and fruit (no citric fruits right?) each once a day. How much do you give them though? And before and after a solid food meal you're supposed to bf right?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: What veggies do you feed you little one?

I'd stay away from corn (hig allergen) and tomatoes (acidic) cucumber (too hard) but the rest of your list (the peas) sound okay ..

I'd really stay towards stuff that can be smooshed. Here's a list with more ideas

Here's another starting solids link
    Last edited by Number3; February 28th, 2008 at 01:05 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

If you decide to do a baby led/self feeding approach I have found that well steamed green beans are great. They are perfect shaped to avoid choking hazards and not too slimy for baby to hang on to. DD just loves them. Also they are not too messy either. I would sugest sweet potato as an easy to mash up and feed food as well.

Squash and sweet potato both work well either cut into cubes or mashed. Both can be cooked easily in the microwave. I've also boiled carrots to make purees, or when my LO got older cut cooked baby carrots into matchsticks she could hold and eat.

You mentioned doing fruits, too. Bananas are simple to mash and feed.

At that age I always bf'd my DD right before a meal and then let her eat as much solids as she wanted, which was maybe a couple tablespoons. I know it varies by baby though.

Wholesome baby foods is a great resource. They have an awesome chart I've been using with DS.
    We started with avocado, and have done peas, banana, sweet potato, applesauce and millet.
    Check out what's in season in your (organic) produce section and plan around that. Off hand I know squash and carrots are available (at least at my store).
    I found buying the organic unsweetened applesauce was much easier than preparing the apples myself.

I started DS off with one 'meal' a day usually around lunch/midafternoon in between feeds. I've also been starting him very casually, sometimes skipping a day, but the past couple of weeks he's really taken an interest in eating solids (he just turned 8 months). I'll probably offer him 2 meals a day next week.

HTH

Oh! and avoid corn as PP said! My poor niece got a wicked diaper rash from corn took like a week to clear.
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    I'd stay away from corn (hig allergen) and tomatoes (acidic) cucumber (too hard) but the rest of your list (the peas) sound okay ..

I'd really stay towards stuff that can be smooshed. Here's a list with more ideas

Here's another starting solids link
    WOW! That list had cabbage and broccile on it. Wonder if ds would like those(and how much gas he would pass)?

Thanks a lot for the info ladies, I didn't know about corn being an allergen. I'm still wondering though, are raw veggies better than frozen?

Quote Originally Posted by jaki.my.ny View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info ladies, I didn't know about corn being an allergen. I'm still wondering though, are raw veggies better than frozen?
    Yep - raw would be preferred over frozen, and frozen preferred over canned ()

Raw because they're fresh-est. You are going to have to prepare them the same though.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I thought so! Thanks for the heads up!

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Raw can be much harder to digest. Frozen actually still contain a lot of nutrients as they are frozen so fast after picking, within hours, whereas fresh veg is probably at least a few days old when you buy it.