Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Formula Supplement

Default Formula Supplement

My dd2 Maggie, was born on Feb 15th 2006, 1 lb 12 oz. She was due to arrive June 1st so she was 15 weeks premature.

Since I nursed my dd1 for 30 months until she CLWd, I was ready to pump almost immediatly and my supply was plentiful. Maggie was given breastmilk from the beginning when she could take feeds and eventually a breastmilk fortieifer was added to add calories. They have since added a formula supplement into the mixture to give even more calories. It sounds like she will be on this for some time, maybe even after discharge.

Has anyone nursed their micropreemies after discharge without formula supplement?

Default Re: Formula Supplement

Mine also was a 25 wker.
    I was "told" to add the neosure powder to the bm upon discharge instructions. But she was doing so well and had no issues, so i threw out those instructions and just did bm. She gained and grew just fine!

Default Re: Formula Supplement

Well my daughter was not as early as yours - 31 weeks - but she too had to go on a high calorie formula while in the nicu b/c she had trouble gaining weight. Once she was home I put her on 100% breastmilk (I was still pumping) and she did fine. I took her in to be weighed pretty often at first just to be on the safe side but she had no problems.

good luck!!

Talking Re: Formula Supplement

Well an update

MAggie is almost 9 lbs and she is just over the 5 mo mark. Adjusted she would be about 7 weeks and a her due date she was just over 5 lbs. She is a nursing champ but still gets her supplements. She gets about 4 bottles daily w all breastmilk and added formula to make it 24 calories or 1/2 breastmilk and 1/2 formula made up. Doing this and nursing when she wants all day and night has made her pack on the pounds.!!! I love her legs w baby fat on them and she has a few chins too. She has outgrown the nb size and now almost the 0-3 size!