Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing Breast!!

Question Refusing Breast!!

my DS is 7 months I started solids 1 oz of pear puree for breakfast.
    He wakes up at 7:30 am then I try to nurse him as soon as he wakes up but he refuses the breast is like he is not hungry..but last feeding is at 11pm day before so is almost 9 hr and he is not hungry!!! I play with him for a while and after 1 1/2hrs (9:00am) he wants to eat. I do not know if I should nurse him first and then give him the breaksfast, the problem is that after I nurse him he sleeps for almost 2 hrs, and I don't want to give him breakfast at 11 in the morning.. What should I do..
    I'am also concerned about his feedings he is nursing only 4-5 times in a 24 hr period. It has become very dificult to nurse him, everything distracts him. It takes me almost 45-1hr to breastfeed. Is this normal???
    his weight at 6 months was 20lbs...
    any thoughts!!!

Default Re: Refusing Breast!!

Well his weight sounds great!!!! So I think you are all set for now!! My 8 month old takes her last feeding at 6 pm and often doesnt eat until 4-5 am.. so 10-11 hours. For awhile she went 6 pm- 7 am.. I thought that was too long so I added the 5 am feeding. Don't force it. I would offer the breast and if he doesn't want it so be it. Personally I wouldn't bother with solids for breakfast if he would rather nurse and then sleeps. Save the solids for lunch and dinner and snacks. My dd is really distracted too.. what we do is she gets so distracted she won't take a full feeding so I just offer the breast every 1-2 hours during the day and she will usually take it even if its just for a few min.... so she nurses 8-9 times and eats solids 2-4 times ( but I don't count these as full meals) I dont feed her till full.. just offer her a few things to eat. If he was 20 lbs at 6 months he is getting enough!! My dd was only 15 lbs at 6 and 7.5 months!!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

At around 6-9 months they get really distractable. It's a normal part of their development. many mothers try nursing in dark and quiet environments to cut out some of the distractions.

Can you tel us how many wet diapers you see in 24 hours? This is the real way to see if your baby is getting enough fluid. What goes in must come out. 5-6 wet disposables or around 6-8 cloth diapers will tell you that baby is well hydrated.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about trying to feed the pears in the morning. Breastmilk is much more important at this age, so I would nurse him and offer the pears later - about 30min-1hr after a nursing session at some point during the day. I think it would be better to "fill him up" on the breastmilk. Solid foods are not nutritionally necessary yet. HTH!

Good point! Breast feeding is supplemented by food, not the other way around until past one year.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    At around 6-9 months they get really distractable. It's a normal part of their development. many mothers try nursing in dark and quiet environments to cut out some of the distractions.

Can you tel us how many wet diapers you see in 24 hours? This is the real way to see if your baby is getting enough fluid. What goes in must come out. 5-6 wet disposables or around 6-8 cloth diapers will tell you that baby is well hydrated.

He is having no more than 4 diapers in 24 hours. Last diaper change is at 7pm next one is at 7:00 am which of course is really wet. During the day they are not that wet

thanks for you responses!!.

At 7 months three to five tablespoons of water in a diaper should tell you what we mean by "wet".
    Your weight gain indicated he is doing well. Are you supplementing with any fluids?
    If you are concerned about his nursing cut back on solids. Spend some time skin-to-skin, it has helped many baby's become more interested in mama's milk. Do you have a sling you can carry him around in? This to promotes interest.
    Try some of these positions: http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/v...LatchOnEnglish