Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't keep up

Default Re: Can't keep up

I've read lots that big babies sometimes need to start solids a little early. What is he telling you? Does he beg when you eat? Imitate chewing? Does he follow your food around from plate to mouth, etc? He may be ready to try a bit. There's the idea that babies over 6 months sometimes refuse solids because their digestive systems just aren't ready and we need to respect that; perhaps begging babies are ready and we need to respect that too. Of course I have to say that because I started my little beggar on some fruits and vegies and cereals at 4 months (and she's not big) because she was DEMANDING solids, and I have to say my concerns were completely washed away. She has never been happier; she's more cheerful, more relaxed, she naps better (okay, so I have to be sure not to give her fruits at supper or she gets a sugar high, I swear!), she plays longer. For some reason, she just needed solids early, and she knew that. So, again, what is he telling you?

I certainly don't suggest pushing you in a direction you aren't ready to go but I wanted to give you another perspective. In the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, there is a suggestion to start certain babies on solids a little early when they are separated from mama, like in your situation since you are working. The reason is that formula poses a higher allergy risk than say, mashed banana. Maybe you could try substituting one of the bottles with a little mashed banana or some other wholesome food and see if that works. At home, you can keep solids away for months to come and then keep them simply experimental for the next year even. If my son were at daycare I would probably think about this instead of formula, it just seems to make more sense, especially at 4.5 months. Of course it's up to you and how you feel about it! Good luck!
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by annanotherthing View Post
    I've read lots that big babies sometimes need to start solids a little early. What is he telling you? Does he beg when you eat? Imitate chewing? Does he follow your food around from plate to mouth, etc? He may be ready to try a bit. There's the idea that babies over 6 months sometimes refuse solids because their digestive systems just aren't ready and we need to respect that; perhaps begging babies are ready and we need to respect that too. Of course I have to say that because I started my little beggar on some fruits and vegies and cereals at 4 months (and she's not big) because she was DEMANDING solids, and I have to say my concerns were completely washed away. She has never been happier; she's more cheerful, more relaxed, she naps better (okay, so I have to be sure not to give her fruits at supper or she gets a sugar high, I swear!), she plays longer. For some reason, she just needed solids early, and she knew that. So, again, what is he telling you?
    You do make a good point. He is very interested when he watches us eat or drink. He has mimicked us with the chewing motions. So those were cues that made me think maybe he's ready to try some. I did, and while he wasn't crazy about cereal last week, I had a jar of green beans and he loved them so much! He grabbed the spoon and brought it to his mouth with each bite.

So maybe we'll try adding a little bit of that, maybe it will help. Thanks for the perspective!

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    I certainly don't suggest pushing you in a direction you aren't ready to go but I wanted to give you another perspective. In the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, there is a suggestion to start certain babies on solids a little early when they are separated from mama, like in your situation since you are working. The reason is that formula poses a higher allergy risk than say, mashed banana. Maybe you could try substituting one of the bottles with a little mashed banana or some other wholesome food and see if that works. At home, you can keep solids away for months to come and then keep them simply experimental for the next year even. If my son were at daycare I would probably think about this instead of formula, it just seems to make more sense, especially at 4.5 months. Of course it's up to you and how you feel about it! Good luck!
    I didn't know that, thank you for letting me know, I've been letting them give him formula if they need to. Eek!

I think we'll continue introducing solids.

Quote Originally Posted by Leila View Post
    I didn't know that, thank you for letting me know, I've been letting them give him formula if they need to. Eek!

I think we'll continue introducing solids.
    Don't worry! We all do the best we can and with all of the conflicting information, it's so hard to make these choices. 6 months is a great guideline number for the start of solids but it's really the middle of the first year of life. This can mean different things for some babies. Many babies are simply interested in what mommy and daddy are doing and aren't really ready for solids until 8 or 9 months. Or even later! Every baby is different. It's so great that you're here and arming yourself with as much info as you can.
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion