Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't keep up

Default Can't keep up

My LO is 4.5 months, and is a very big eater. He will feed every 1.5-2 hrs (sometimes every hour!), taking 5-6 oz each time. I am a working momma, and even though pumping at work isn't a problem, I can't keep up. My supply is good, I can get 4-5 oz each session, sometimes more. I've been sending him with 20 oz, but lately he's eaten all that and they've had to give him formula.

The first couple times he was fine, but last time he threw it all up (projectile style). We tried a soy, but he wanted nothing to do with it.

Anyone have any suggestions? He is growing very well, I'd say he's pushing 20 lbs, 25.5" in length, he's in 6-9 month clothes already!

I just feel so bad about not being able to pump enough for my LO. Help, please!

Default Re: Can't keep up

that age is a prime time for a growth spurt.
    Have you tried low flow nipples? That will sometimes slow them down a bit.
    Babies have a suck swallow reflux and most will drain what ever is in the bottle.

Can you add a feed when you are together?
    that works for some babies.

something from kelly moms
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/m...tml#calculator

Is baby drinking too much or too little expressed milk?
    Keep in mind that the amount of milk that baby takes at a particular feeding will vary, just as the amount of food and drink that an adult takes throughout the day will vary. Baby will probably not drink the same amount of milk at each feeding. Watch baby's cues instead of simply encouraging baby to finish the bottle.

If your baby is taking substantially more than the average amounts, consider the possibility that baby is being given too much milk while you are away. Things that can contribute to overfeeding include:

Fast flow bottles. Always use the lowest flow bottle nipple that baby will tolerate.
    Using bottle feeding as the primary way to comfort baby. Some well-meaning caregivers feed baby the bottle every time he makes a sound. Use the calculator above to estimate the amount of milk that baby needs, and start with that amount. If baby still seems to be hungry, have your caregiver first check to see whether baby will settle with walking, rocking, holding, etc. before offering another ounce or two.
    Baby's need to suck. Babies have a very strong need to suck, and the need may be greater while mom is away (sucking is comforting to baby). A baby can control the flow of milk at the breast and will get minimal milk when he mainly needs to suck. When drinking from a bottle, baby gets a larger constant flow of milk as long as he is sucking. If baby is taking large amounts of expressed milk while you are away, you might consider encouraging baby to suck fingers or thumb, or consider using a pacifier for the times when mom is not available, to give baby something besides the bottle to satisfy his sucking needs.
    If, after trying these suggestions, you're still having a hard time pumping enough milk, see I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

I have worried about overfeeding, but he nurses that frequently at home. At times we have to give an EBM bottle (like while traveling), he will eat that much in one sitting. He already had his 4 month growth spurt, would you believe he feeds even MORE often then?!

He already loves sucking/chewing on his hand, but hates the pacifier. So I'm at a loss.

Any reason the formula would make him sick? Lactose? It doesn't seem to bother him when I drink it, and I have a glass with breakfast every day. If he won't take the soy, what else can we use for backup?

Thanks for the info, I will use some of those suggestions to up my output a bit. Oatmeal has helped some.

Oh, and we use slow flow nipples.

Quote Originally Posted by Leila View Post
    Any reason the formula would make him sick? Lactose? It doesn't seem to bother him when I drink it, and I have a glass with breakfast every day. If he won't take the soy, what else can we use for backup?
    He's not used to it? I'm having to supplement mine right now (not gaining enough). We tried Enfamil and he threw it up. We went to Similac Advance and he gagged on it, but has been keeping it down. Have you smelled the stuff? It makes me gag, too! BM is much more pleasant! In any case, what I did was mix 1 part formula to 2 parts BM for the first 2 feedings and then 2 parts formula to 1 part BM for 2 feedings. After that I gave him 3 ounces of formula and he downs it pretty quick because he is so hungry. I have to give him at least 3 ounces of formula for a feeding, after that he can have all the BM he wants.
    HTH

I'm going to say look again at the over feeding. 20oz is ALOT to eat while away from you. And you are saying it's actually MORE than that??? The average baby his age eats about 28-32oz in a 24hour period. So lets say your child is a big eater. Which I will definitely buy since you are able to 5-6oz at time and 20oz while away from him. What do you think he needs to eat in a 24hours period? 40oz? 45oz? How much is he getting while you are together?

The issue is that usually in daycare situations they use to bottle to pacify. And a breastfed baby may need to eat MORE OFTEN than a formula fed child....but usually will take and be happier with smaller amounts. How many bottles are you sending 5 4oz?

Way too lazy for formula

i haven't read all of the post...but have you started considering introducing solids? i had a similar issue with livy-monster and we started adding a very small amount of cereal to her EBM to help relieve her hunger.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I'm going to say look again at the over feeding. 20oz is ALOT to eat while away from you. And you are saying it's actually MORE than that??? The average baby his age eats about 28-32oz in a 24hour period. So lets say your child is a big eater. Which I will definitely buy since you are able to 5-6oz at time and 20oz while away from him. What do you think he needs to eat in a 24hours period? 40oz? 45oz? How much is he getting while you are together?

The issue is that usually in daycare situations they use to bottle to pacify. And a breastfed baby may need to eat MORE OFTEN than a formula fed child....but usually will take and be happier with smaller amounts. How many bottles are you sending 5 4oz?
    I sent 22 oz Thursday, PLUS he ate 3 oz of formula.

I'm not sure what he eats at home, since I can't measure what he's getting at the breast. But if we give him a bottle of EBM because we have to go out or whatever, it is not unusual for him to eat 5-6oz. At home he will nurse approx every 1.5-2 hrs, about 30 min or so. So let's say he gets 6 oz from me at home, after daycare...he will feed 2x (at least) before bed, then 2x in the morning before daycare=45oz total.

He does sleep through the night, so maybe that will explain some of it.

See why I can't keep up?

Doc said yesterday that he's big enough to start introducing solids. He is 26.5" long (90th percentile) and 15 lb, 8 oz (75th perct). But I'm hesitant, shouldn't he be 6 months first??

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Mommy View Post
    i haven't read all of the post...but have you started considering introducing solids? i had a similar issue with livy-monster and we started adding a very small amount of cereal to her EBM to help relieve her hunger.
    Does that actually work? Did it upset her tummy? How old was she?

I just worry about the 6 mo rule. I wanted to EBF as long as possible.

I think he should be six months to introduce solids...I I am impressed by how much you are pumping and it leads me to believe that your child IS a big eater. However, I thing you should still push back to the DCP that they shouold be feeding him smaller amounts more often. I think they may be feeding him every time he fusses. He may just want to be picked up, played with, carried around. I think that 20-22oz really should be enough. Especially considering how much is being consumed while together.

Way too lazy for formula