Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hates solids!

Default hates solids!

Well ok my son is 7 months old and we have been introducing solids using a Baby led solids approach for a month now. Unfortunately he has HATED everything we have tried!
    banana
    sweet potato
    apple
    avocado
    mashed potato made with breast milk
    broccoli - never even made it to his mouth.

Each thing we try, if it gets to his mouth it is met with a YUCKY face and then spit right back out. I'm not necessarily worried, but when I see others on here writing about how much their LO loved such and such, it just makes me wonder why my lo seems to hate everything! Anyone else have a LO who seemed to hate all solids for a while? when did they get the hang of it?

J

Default Re: hates solids!

Welcome to my world Kalyin refuses solids ... here and there she will take something but for the most part hates them. She zips her lips tightly and will not let the spoon near her. She is 8 months old now and we started right around six months. No luck yet .... we will just keep trying. It is hard when I see other babies eat whatever .... I dont want a picky eater!
    Jennifer

AIM- cuigrl

Proud Mommy to~
    Emma and Ally 3/15/06 (my two little angels in heaven)

Kaylin Ryan born on 6/22/07~ My joy!!!!

well, and it does not help that my parents, who watch anthony on thursdays, are totally obsessed with the whole eating solids thing and bring it up constantly. latest comment "well, just keep trying, I don't know too many adults who only eat milk".

I know it can be frustrating .... but like you I am not really too stressed out about it. Everyone else seems more concerned about it than me I talked to the PED about it and he said bf babies seem to have a harder time transitioning to solids than ff babies. He said to offer it to her every day but not to push it otherwise it may cause food issues later in life. Also, he said that babies can rely off moms milk for up to the first year but that he would test her at 9mo for iron levels.
    Jennifer

AIM- cuigrl

Proud Mommy to~
    Emma and Ally 3/15/06 (my two little angels in heaven)

Kaylin Ryan born on 6/22/07~ My joy!!!!

My two year old didn't really get into to solids until 8 months and even then wasn't really interested. She has a wonderful, healthful diverse appetite now.

My almost 7 month old is currently also experimenting with all the same foods you mentioned and only tolerates the banana, seems to dislike all the rest. I read that if you keep re-introducing foods they eventually acquire a taste for them and it turned out to be true for my first.

Remember all solids up to a year are mostly for learning and exploring. I know it's hard to relax with outside pressure, but try to block it out if you can.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I had one that didn't eat much before 12-14 months..
    they get the hang of it!
    some kids with tummy trouble self regulate well.
    Do you have any signs of allergies?
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep97p75.html

check out the box in the middle of the link it has a long list of signs you can look for.

My DD wouldn't really eat solids until she turned 10 months old and now she does really well (with certain foods). I read the book,"My Child Won't Eat" that LLL puts out and it really put my mind and heart to rest. It can be really frustrating when they won't eat. I can't even tell you how many jars of food that I had to throw out after she only had a taste....not to mention all the different things I tried to cook for her. Give it time...and try not to worry or stress too much about it.

My son (8 months) hates everything too. I have tried purees and the BLS approach. Nothing. I even put "fresh squeezed" BM on a spoon. He tasted it shivered and gagged. Wouldn't let the spoon back near him.

I figure he will eat someday. I think the more you push it the more they will fight it. Try backing off for a few weeks. Maybe he will be more receptive.

what cracks me up is that when he is playing with toys everything goes in his mouth immediately. But when he is playing with food, he can sit there for 10 minutes with pieces of food on his tray and never once will anything, even his hand, go near his mouth.
    I know eventually he will get the hang of it, I just wish my 'rents would back off. It is very difficult for them to understand that things are done differently now than they were in the 70s when they had a baby. oh well. He's obviously thriving on my milk because he's 7 months and 20 lbs, and in the end his health is my number 1 concern.
    J

Oh I know wha you mean. My son puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. But if he touches food he cringes. He knows what it is and won't put it near his mouth.

Just tell them your not concerned b/c you know he is healthy and will eat other foods eventually.