Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 100 bags of 9oz EBM gone!! Is it Lipase??

Question 100 bags of 9oz EBM gone!! Is it Lipase??

I was contemplating the purchase of a new deep freezer to support my poor upright freezer that was bursting at the seams. Only when I searched the internet for purchase information did I stumble upon this D-Day term -- Lipase...

It never occured to me that this could possibly be an issue with me. I have an over-supply of milk since my 2nd month (my baby is coming 7 months next week!). I produce about 60oz each day and have given my milk freely to 4 other babies who cannot take cow's milk or were advised by their paeds to consume EBM and their mothers had ran out of milk... The other babies drank fine, till recently when 1 mother told me that her daughter refused the bottle (the 3 other babies had stopped drinking EBM from me after they started solids). She thought that it was probably because her daughter had started solids... I didn't think too much of it but when I put 2-by-2, I decided to thaw and try a pack of milk (dated 13 January) for myself.

The thawed milk smelt rusty and tasted just as bad . It was so bad I felt sorry for my friend's daughter... Needless to say, I dumped it. I am in the process of thawing another 3 packs, 1 from early Jan, 1 from early Feb and 1 from last week and I will see how it goes tonight but I am not too optimistic .

Anyone able to shed some light as to why the frozen milk's taste was not an issue all these months till recenty? My baby has been bottle-fed all along as I am a working mum. Milk seems to be ok in the fridge all these while... I am extremely fussy about cleanliness and measure out the correct amount properly in thoroughly sterilised bottles for all of Gabriel's milk feeds on my own. Why did this happen?!

I wanted to stock up for his milk feeds so that I can stop expressing milk but ensuring that Gabriel will be able to feed on EBM till at least 1-years old. I wanted to stop expressing milk so that I can start ovulating and trying for another baby.

Is there anyone here who is able to shed some light or suggestions on how I should store the milk and even if I do scald the EBM, how long can it be frozen in an upright freezer? I use proper milk bags for freezer storage from 'The First Years'.

Also, can anyone let me know if it is at all possible for me to conceive while I continue breastfeeding Gabriel? I am feeling so lost and feeling the pressure to cope with work, feeding Gabriel and conceiving...

Default Re: 100 bags of 9oz EBM gone!! Is it Lipase??

You will have to run a timed test to see how long your breast milk will stay edible, the amount of lipase is different in every woman's milk. try a small amount in the fridge and test it at 2 hours 4 hours and so on. When you find the time it expires you will know.
    Scalding is not difficult.

Question Re: 100 bags of 9oz EBM gone!! Is it Lipase??

Thanks, Carpentergirl... The latest update I have is that my frozen EBM can stay frozen for only 1 week without smelling queer BUT it immediately smelt yucky after it was heated up.

I have dumped all 100 bags and decided to not freeze anymore. As per your recommendation, I am now trying to see how long my EBM can keep in the fridge before it turns rancid. 1 question though.. even if it doesn't turn rancid so soon, what is the longest period of time that I can store EBM in the refrigerator? Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel's Mommie View Post
    Thanks, Carpentergirl... The latest update I have is that my frozen EBM can stay frozen for only 1 week without smelling queer BUT it immediately smelt yucky after it was heated up.

I have dumped all 100 bags and decided to not freeze anymore. As per your recommendation, I am now trying to see how long my EBM can keep in the fridge before it turns rancid. 1 question though.. even if it doesn't turn rancid so soon, what is the longest period of time that I can store EBM in the refrigerator? Any idea?
    Wow, only 1 week! I thought you should be able to store it in the freezer for 4 to 6 months...Did you store it in the back? Storing it near the door will cause heat to touch it every time the door is open and so it is recomended to keep your EBM in the back to keep it from going bad. The longest you should be able to keep EBM in the frigerator is 8 days. GL to you!
    Also, I read you are using the first years storage bags...I found those to be horrible! The plastic just seemed cheap and I had one bag bad after a week. Try using the Lansinoh storage bags, they are a bit cheaper and better made! You have to be careful though because the plastic used contains NO CHEMICALS to give it elasticity and if you knock frozen milk it may tear the bag and leak when thawed. Another thing, before freezing the milk did you press all air from the bag? If not, air left in the bag will cause freezer burn and iky milk. Hope I helped!
    Last edited by MommyZ; March 4th, 2008 at 09:43 AM.

Ah, I know this feeling too well. I had to dump about 30 bags of milk once I discovered I had lipase . It was so hard after all the hard work of pumping. I never built up a freezer stash again as I returned to work soon after and just pumped daily for the next days feedings.