Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing all the time and eating

Default Nursing all the time and eating

My DS is 6 months and has been dabling with solids for a month. everyonce in a while we'd try him on a food, but it wasn't consistant. MY ped told me that now we should be working toward two meals a day and by the end of six months 3 meals a day.

we worked up to two meals, and he does great (though there are some mornings I forget to feed him solids, or evenings we are too busy and it gets forgotten) but even on the days where he eats a good 2 tbs at each meal, he nurses constantly. especially at night.

we co-sleep with his crib butted up against our bed and the rail taken off. he'll roll over into our bed and snuggle up to nurse about 3-4 times at night. I guess my concern is, how can he possibly be this hungry. Mpost oof the time I don't mind nursing him on demand (we've done so since birth) but 3-4 times at night (which has increased since he started solids, before it was 2-3 x's a night) I'm not getting a lot of sleep.

Just wanna make sure that he's ok

Default Re: Nursing all the time and eating

I don't have any advice, but I'm curious as to the answer. I started my ds on solids a few weeks ago, because he seems so hungry after nursing him 8-10 times a day. I know they say to only feed a tablespoon at a sitting, but my son will eat 1/4 cup. He's almost 6 months old too.

It could be teeth. Right before my son turned six months old he increased his night time frequency to the point where I was irritated about my loss of sleep but he was comfort nursing to help him with the pain. Try tylenol before bed. This increaded frequency started about two weeks before they broke through and lasted for about three weeks after. Tylenol helped but he wanted to nurse more. We justed started calming down in the last five days....there was also shorter naps during the day. Which I attributed to his new cranky behavior. But it was all about pain. When I fed him Tylenol he slept more during the day. I have heard there is also a 6 month growth spurt. I've just resigned myself to new patience. If I don't get enough sleep I try to lay down with him at nap time. He always takes longer better naps if I stay with him.

Maybe the solids are making his tummy hurt, so he's nursing more for comfort? I've actually heard solids can cause extra nightwaking for this reason.

By the way, who on earth would he need to be eating 3 meals a day by the end of 6 mo? Ds started eating 3 "meals" a day after he was 8 mo, and that was just because he loved to eat so much. Breastmilk is all a baby really needs for the first 12 mo of life; solids should not start to replace breastmilk until closer to 11-12 mo.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

what about lack of iron content in breastmilk. don't they need the iron in foods after 6 months? i don't feed him cereal because the iron in them isn't absorbed easily i just feed him foods that hacve iron in them

but i'm htinking it could be teeth. he always seems to be whinniing and in pain. i've given him tylenol all day and it doesn't seem to be helping. now though when he nurses it's only for a few min then he breaks away crying, when he gets his frozen teething rings he's happy for about 2 min

Here is a good link on bf babies iron needs: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

The way I understand it, if you're concerened about your child's iron levels, you can ask your Dr to do a simple blood test.

My little guy is right there too - eating quite well, yet munching all night and I am so tired that I am amazed I am finding patience to tolerate his teething "lifestyle" now. JUst a suggestion: I use teething tablets that are homeopathic made by Hyland's. Directions say to give two, my friend gives three, but one does the trick for my ds for just the cranky-can't sit still, uncomfortable behavior. When the tears start then I give the two. They work like a charm - within five minutes the happy, full of smiles litte man is back!

Hang in there. Exhaustion is so fun huh! I used to be the biggest sleeper before my ds. All my friends w/ kids just laugh at me, cuz they now how haaaaard this is & they did't even bf!!

Good luck

My son will be 8 months next week. We started dabling with solids 2 months ago. He is now eating a jar of veggies and a jar of fruit, 2 meals a day. Dinner he usually eats off my plate. I thought and was afraid that he would nurse less when he started eating solids but just the opposite. I always nurse him before feeding solids and he nurses until satisfied but still has room for solids and doesn't miss a nursing session. He is just plain eating more. Is this common??? My other children were formula fed so I only know about that experience.

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by miki & mom
    My son will be 8 months next week. We started dabling with solids 2 months ago. He is now eating a jar of veggies and a jar of fruit, 2 meals a day. Dinner he usually eats off my plate. I thought and was afraid that he would nurse less when he started eating solids but just the opposite. I always nurse him before feeding solids and he nurses until satisfied but still has room for solids and doesn't miss a nursing session. He is just plain eating more. Is this common??? My other children were formula fed so I only know about that experience.

Dee
    Yes, I think that is quite common. I also thing it's the way it's supposed to be.

Okay, Soooo I am beginning to think this is what ds' problem is. he could go 12 hours without nursing at night (although I only did that 2-3 times b/c I was so tired and wanted to go to bed). About 2 wks ago he started waking up frequently, every 2-3 hours. SOmetimes it would be to eat, others would just be for comfort. He will not nurse as long as he normally does. We are talking 3 min on the right side and 6 on the left. Half of the time he would come off fussing and just seemed down right uncomfortable. I started to second guess my supply. I thought it had gone down or that he was trying to self ween. He has been SUPER clingy and a little more fussier than usual. On top of that he is chewing on anything he can get his little hands on. I have done the tylenol, which works for a couple of hours. The last 1 1/2 hours he starts to get fussy though. I then give him Hylands teething tablets to ease the pain until it is Tylenol time again.
    He has been drooling more than normal. He even developed a BAD rash under his chin on his neck from all the drool. He is SPITTING out his saliva. He has started this coughing, almost like a dry hack. I have to change his bib and clothes every couple of hours.
    I am afraid that my supply is going to drop signifantly b/c he is not eating as much at a nursing session and I am pumping about 1 to 1 1/2 ounces less than before this all happened. But he went from 5-7 feedings a day to 6-10 feedings a day.
    Soooo, would you say all of these problems are an indicator of teething? My neighbor who is a dental hygenist thinks he is probably cutting more than one tooth.