Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My baby is clamping on my nipple while nursing.. how can I get her to stop?

Default My baby is clamping on my nipple while nursing.. how can I get her to stop?

My six month old at times has started clamping down hard on my nipple while she is nursing! It really hurts and when I've told her no she just looks at me and smiles or laughs. Does anyone have any advice? I love nursing.. and up until this point things have been wonderful.. any advice from experienced mamma's out there?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: My baby is clamping on my nipple while nursing.. how can I get her to stop?

This link to the LLLI FAQ on biting saved my life! When ds was starting to teethe, it was a valuable source of info. I re-read it and each time I do, I notice something new that is helpful to me.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bite.html
    You have to be consistent. When I notice my son is about to bite, I latch off. When he gets a bite, I latch off and tell him "No bite", then continue. It's a learning process and babies have a large learning curve, so just be patient.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Default Re: My baby is clamping on my nipple while nursing.. how can I get her to stop?

The PP gave you a great link, but I wanted to add some great words of wisdom "a baby that is biting is not nursing" what that means is a baby cannot bite and nurse at the same time, of course stopping the behavior is easier said than done! Some mothers find that their reaction is enough, other mothers find that they have to really let baby know that biting is not acceptable. Since your LO was not fazed by you telling her no biting, you might have to end the session all together, set her on the floor or off of your lap while you say "no biting" or "we don't bite mama" something to that effect. You'll know when your words have broken through. mama biting is not fun!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by lovinmommy View Post
    My six month old at times has started clamping down hard on my nipple while she is nursing! It really hurts and when I've told her no she just looks at me and smiles or laughs. Does anyone have any advice? I love nursing.. and up until this point things have been wonderful.. any advice from experienced mamma's out there?
    I had a thought come to me... does this happen when you have a let-down? When she's finished? Or is it just random???
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I am not sure when it is happening.. it seems to be when she is almost finished so last night I used all of your guy's words of wisdom and it went a lot better. I think she is also congested which is making it harder for her to nurse. Thanks for the website information and for the words of wisdom. She only clamped down once or twice last night which was much better. I think too that it could be for attention. When I get home from work I usually go in another room with her and nurse, but this past week i've tried to nurse her and give her attention while talking with the hubby... so maybe she is mad at me about that.. needless to say I will press on because I love nursing my little one.. .I am just hoping that the clamping will stop.

If it were happening at the beginning of the nursing session when let-down occurs, I'd be concerned about a forceful (over-active) let-down. I think you're right, though, that it's probably b/c lo's distracted.

My dh had to learn the hard way (via my biting his head off) to not come in anymore and start talking with me while I was trying to feed our son. He sees daddy and thinks it's time to play, which frustrates me.

Thank you guys for your great ideas. She has done better this weekend.... although last night she hasn't been nursing that much. I just started giving her rice cereal about two weeks ago... we ended up not giving her any last night so I figured she would nurse all night, but she didn't... I am kind of getting worried.. she is my first so I am totally new at all of this. Also this morning she woke up with a fever of 100.3 She is still smiling and giggling, and fussing a little bit. I think she is teething as well.. some moms have told me that there babies ran low grade fevers while teeting.. is 100.3 a low grade fever? I don't know. Any suggestions ladies...
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

She could very well be teething. My LO usually gets congested and runs a lowgrade fever while teething. I also wanted to add that the biting started when the first teeth were breaking through. I did what a few others have suggested, that is: unlatching her and setting her down while saying, "No biting mommy" or something to that effect.

If you can nurse her through the fever that would be ideal. Please monitor her fluid output and temperature and if at any point you feel worried, call your peds.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

what would you say consitutes as a low grade fever for a baby?
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

My peds wasn't comfortable with it being above 102 when she was smaller. Now she says 104, or whatever I'm not comfortable with. Check w/ your doc if you are at all in question.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!