Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast shields to help in breastfeeding?

Default breast shields to help in breastfeeding?

I've got a DD who has bottle preference and I'm trying to get her back to the breast. I saw the breast shield things (to bring out inverted nipples, not the pump horns), and wondered if they could be used *during* nursing (the ring part only, naturally) to keep the nipple more erect and like she's used to getting with the bottle. Is that possible? Anyone done it?

Default Re: breast shields to help in breastfeeding?

Hello, I used a nipple shield for a couple months at first. I would get the medela contact one. It will give the baby something to latch on to if you have flat nipples. I would also pump because using a shield will decrease supply by 25%. Good luck.

I agree, the nipple shield may do the trick, its like a bottle nipple that covers your breast. You may be able to train her on it for a few days and then be able to nurse w/o it. This worked for us in the beginning, not sure if it would work for an older baby. That being said, my lo never took a bottle, she just completely refused it.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Hello Yellowgirl!

I'm a bit confused regarding your question. Are you talking about breast shells, like these?
    http://medelabreastfeedingus.com/pro...08/therashells
    Or nipple shields, like this?
    http://medelabreastfeedingus.com/pro...-nipple-shield

You mention that you and your baby are working beyond bottle preference. Could you please tell us a bit more about your situation? Is your baby currently nursing at all?

Jolie--
    The therashells, not the contact nipple shileds. I guess I should have used the proper name. I've tried the contact nipple shields already, and CANNOT get them to stay on my nipple no matter how tightly I try to get them on, with water or dry, etc. They pop off! But was wondering about using the "ring" part of the therashell to hold the nipple "at attention" to speak.
    DD used to nurse, but refuses the breast now. Every great while she'll suck at it, but never enough to get any milk out, and she almost hates being put in that position (with the head in towards me). She'd rather be looking out at the world. I just want to have tried everything, b/c I'd love to have even a partial bf relationship. Pumps suck! (literally and figuratively!).

What positions are you trying when you do latch her on? Have you thought about breast compressions to keep her interested while latched? What sort of bottles have you been using? What was the original reason you thought to try a bottle? Any difficulties after birth?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowgirl View Post
    The therashells, not the contact nipple shileds. I guess I should have used the proper name. I've tried the contact nipple shields already, and CANNOT get them to stay on my nipple no matter how tightly I try to get them on, with water or dry, etc. They pop off! But was wondering about using the "ring" part of the therashell to hold the nipple "at attention" to speak.
    DD used to nurse, but refuses the breast now. Every great while she'll suck at it, but never enough to get any milk out, and she almost hates being put in that position (with the head in towards me). She'd rather be looking out at the world. I just want to have tried everything, b/c I'd love to have even a partial bf relationship. Pumps suck! (literally and figuratively!).

It's not generally recommended the ring during nursing as it would put pressure on the ducts during feeding. It sounds like that might be uncomfortable, too.

Here are some great tips here regarding making the nipple stand out before nursing:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/flat.html

Are baby's bottle feedings paced? Have you considered feeding the bottle facing in, as your baby would be during breastfeeding?
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; March 8th, 2008 at 07:12 PM.

The bottle started when she was losing weight (more than the initial weight loss) about a week after birth. But I've always known I would be a bottle AND breast mom since I work outside the home.... I wanted to pump milk and have her bottle fed with that when I'm away. Unfortunately, my supply has always been low (I've been told I have polycstic ovaries, so suspect PCOS-like problems), so I think she's so used to the bottle and fast flow.

I have started to feed her in towards me, which sometimes frustrates her but if she's hungry enough she doesn't seem to mind. I even do that right next to my bare breast, but if I try to slip the breast in, it's cry city!!!

It's very disheartening. I know I should stick with it, but when she cries and turns her head away and arches her back.... well, it's hard not to take it personally, kwim?