Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EPing

Unhappy EPing

ok i woke up this morning and mow my right breast feels like it is infected, i cant take this anymore. i need the double electric pump but my husband doesnt want to get it because it cost too much even to rent it since we have spent so much on pumps already, he says we can always get formula for free from wic, i cant hold my baby again because it hurts so much, and its on my right side which is the breast that i have the best output on, what am i suppose to do i know that i cant keep going with only using a manual pump, i am pumping the 20 minutes per side but dang it takes 40 minutes for one pumping session and now the infection again, my DS doesnt want to latch on good still, he is trying but what am i suppose to do? i dont want to give up but i dont have any support or help.

Default Re: EPing

Leighahh,
    I'm sorry I'm confused. I thought you were going to pick a up a rental that was only going to cost $75.00 this week??(Because you couldn't last week due to a family emergency and you'd get back $25 at the end) And you were going to get your money back on the one that broke after 3 days? So essentially it was only going to be the same $75 dollars you already spent? Did I miss something?
    Your son doesn't want to latch because he's been taking bottles? I thought he was latching....About what seem to be continual infections....I'm wondering if your wearing underwire bras? They can cause clogged ducts.
    I'm sorry that your having such a hard time and extra sorry that your husband isn't being supportive. I agree you can't get all your baby needs from a manuel pump but I thought you were only pumping to keep up your supply while you had an infection and were still nursing. Did that stop altogether?

no you didnt miss anything i called the company and they told me they couldnt replace my money or the pump because it had been opened and used so i never got the money back, and the rental was 175.00 to start then 75 a month but he wont do it, i didnt stop nursing i just kept pump to keep up supply because of the infection and because he was for a while latching but somedays he just doesnt want to do it right i want to keep nursing but it seems like his match has gone backward, like now he acts like he cant get a good grip on it and just suckles which i know is good but his latch is hard to explain he doesnt fully latch he just lets it be in his mouth, you know the kinds suck they do when they are in deep sleep, but now with this other side acting up if i put him to the breast i am crying if he even touches me.
    i am wearing an enderwire nursing bra i didnt know that they could do that so i will stop. what else can i do? right now i am pumping again til i see the dr on monday but this is getting the best of me

Ok well I just want to start again my saying Hats off girl! You are really going through it and I'm really proud of you for being SOOO persistent. Here's a couple of things to try. 1st take something for the pain. Tylenol, Motrin something. So you aren't in unbearable pain. 2nd how about latching him on one side while your pumping? Your talking about 40 min sessions and now it's you good boob. Your going to be sitting down anyway why not have him try on the other side while pumping? That way it's not 40 mins away from the baby. It's 40 min where your multi tasking and he's with you, and he's either getting nourishment or He's getting practice! And have you tried respositioning him? My son when he had a side he favored and didn't do well on the other I used the football hold. Do you know what that is? It essentially puts him in the same position on the other boob as he would be on the side he favors. It's also the best postion to nurse in if you are trying to multi-task because the baby is not really in your lap. He's off to the side of you so it'd be ideal if your were going to feed him and pump at the same time. If your not familiar with this position send me a private message with your fax # and I'll send you something with a picture .
    Lastly Every case of Mastitis or clogged ducts that I know of personally (people I know who've had either) was brought on by the use of underwire bras. If its still just clogged ducts you may be able to fix it your self by massaging in the shower and using hot compresses. Think about loosening anykind of clog-hot water is the answer! If it still is just the breast that hurts and you haven't begun to get a fever(sign of infection) you may still be able to correct it! DON'T PUT AN UNDERWIRE BACK ON all weekend. I hope this helps! You are doing great! Take something for the pain BEFORE you try to massage your ducts. Keep us posted!

Hi there,
    have you called your ob for an antibiotic RX, that will really help you a lot. Also, one of our leaders said that she would get an infection whenever she was doing too much. Maybe you should take this as your body giving you a sign to slow down. Have you posted in the items wanted for a double electric pump? All the best

Leighahh -- let me echo everyone's concern and admiration -- I so admire your persistence here, and I'm so sorry that you're running into brick walls at every turn.

If your husband thinks a pump is too expensive, ask him how he'll feel paying the doctor bills when your formula-fed child has ear infections and other illnesses that breastfeeding can prevent.

I am SO angry that Evenflo is blowing you off about their malfunctioning pump. You spent good money on it and it doesn't work; it might even have been the cause of your original mastitis. I guess a formula company has good financial reasons to try to disrupt your breastfeeding, but I think it's just plain evil of them to make and sell crappy pumps like this.

OK, one more thing. If the mastitis has recurred in the same breast that got infected last time, then it is most likely the same infection that never completely went away. I know you took antibiotics for that first mastitis, but what was the medication, what was the dosage, and how long did you take it? Sometimes doctors don't know the proper dosage and they undermedicate; sometimes moms start to feel better and don't finish the meds. Let's figure out what happened last time so we can figure out what will help the most this time.

I also totally agree about the underwire bras. Go bra-less until you can get fitted with a good, non-underwire bra.

Remind me what kind of contact you've had locally with LLL Leaders or IBCLC lactation consultants? Or a WIC peer counselor? I would feel much better if someone trained in lactation support could meet with you, preferably more than once, and give you some hands-on guidance and help you connect with local resources.

--Rebecca

[QUOTE=leighahh]no you didnt miss anything i called the company and they told me they couldnt replace my money or the pump because it had been opened and used so i never got the money back, /QUOTE]

You called the company you bought it from or you called evenflo directly? Ihave to say I think defective merchadise is defective and HAS to be replaced by the company. I wouldn't expect a store to take it back but I would expect the company to refund or replace it. If you still have the reciept, I would PUSH thie issue! Write a letter if need be. 3 days is unacceptable even for an inferior product. Let a supervisor in customer service know you feel they are responsible for your oringinal Mastisis! Threaten to report them to the Better Business Bureau and if they stil refuse write a letter to the president and report them!

First i am in contact weekly with a WIC peer counslor and she is trying to help but has told me that if nothing else if i just pump at least i am giving him BM, she is working with me on trying to get him to do better. as for the last mastitis it was in my left breast, they gave me augementin i cant remember the dosage but they were horse pills and i took them till they were gone which was 2x a day for 10 days and now it is on my right side, i have been bra less today and will try that.
    as for the pump i did call evenflo and was informed by a customer service lasy and a supervisor that there was nothing they could do because they couldnt prove that it was they machine and not me who damaged it i spent 3 hours on the phone with them and i am going to write aletter to them and also the BBB.
    i am hoping that since i will still put baby to the left side now that i will be able to at least pump the right side till it goes away, it is to hard and my right breast is really hot to the touch that DS wants no part of it.
    thank you ladies any help will be appreciated