Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medela Breast pumps???

Default Medela Breast pumps???

My husband and I can't afford the Medela PIS, which everyone seems to conclude is the best. However, does anyone have any input about the Medela Harmony Manual pump?

I will be staying home with my little one, and I'd just like to have a pump on hand in case of engorgement, or occassional pumping if I go out, etc. Unless it's absolutely necessary, and my LL Leader advises it, I don't plan on pumping every single day. I'd prefer exclusive breastfeeding.

However, will the Harmony Manual be the right choice? Can I still have a LC size me for the proper sized flanges at the hospital even though it's not the PIS? I looked at renting and buying used PIS models, and it's still too expensive. Other than the Harmony Manual, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Default Re: Medela Breast pumps???

I liked the advent manual.

I just ordered one from my LC. She recommended this one for me as I have the same requirements as you. Plan to pump only when I go out, etc. The other thing to consider is that Medela pumps & all the pump parts & also the bottles are BPA free. The Avent Isis (very good ratings) pump is not BPA free if that's something you are considering. As for me, I like to safe than sorry....so decided to go ahead with Medela. I'll let you know how I like the pump once I get it.
    HTH

I used the Avent with my first daughter, I suggest pumping through a let-down, otherwise I didn't get too much milk. Theres no way we could have afforded an electric pump either. Keep in mind though I am a little lazy, and I don't like having to work at getting the milk out, so I just feed baby, wait for let-down, and then pump the other side.

With my second daughter, she's a month old, I really didn't think I would pump with this one just because it really is easier to just put her to my breast, but a friend had an old PIS around and I am going to try it, but I haven't yet so I don't know how it compares! I will update you.

Meanwhile, I thought this time I could donate milk, I am nursing both kids and thought well what the heck. Turns out the place I am looking to donate to provides you with an electric pump: http://www.nationalmilkbank.org/whattodo.html. So if I had known about this for my first, I would have done it! Just an option I wish I had known about.

I *love* my Avent Isis manual pump. I pump 4x's/day M-F and get much better results than from any electric I used. I pump enough for DD2 plus a little extra to freeze.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I couldn't afford a good pump either but i went to my last WIC appt and i bout peed myself when she gave me a medella(sp) pump free so you might check with them??

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by my6pack03 View Post
    I couldn't afford a good pump either but i went to my last WIC appt and i bout peed myself when she gave me a medella(sp) pump free so you might check with them??

good luck
    I got an Ameda Purely Yours free through WIC. Think about it, in the long run, one pump is much more cost effective than a couple of months of formula checks.

I have that pump and it works for me pretty good! I got mine for free from the hospital at discharge! My first pumping session I got 3 ounces. I recommend checking with WIC first though.
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

I just got a new pump. I was using the Medela Pump In Style but it had a shelf life...and it was over...... It is a Lansinoh double electric pump. $150. From what I remember it is half the cost of the Medela. It can be compared to the Avent, just without all the bells and whistles from what I am told. I looked at reviews onine, it received good ones. Here is a link if your interested in it..

http://www.target.com/Lansinoh-Doubl...%20pump&page=1

(Has some mommie reviews at the bottom)
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I've used both the medela manual pump and the avent hand pump. I like Medela's pump better, it's easier to put together. They feel about the same and get about the same amount of milk. In my area, parts for the Medela pumps are easier to find, so when I lost a part, it was easy to get. I had to wait for Avent to mail me a piece. They sent it at no cost to me, but it was so nice to be able to go to the store to get the spare piece for the Medela pump right away, instead of waiting.

I also got a Lactina (rental) from WIC several years ago at no cost to me - it was fantastic!