Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vege Strike

Exclamation Vege Strike

My 11 month old daughter refuses to eat vegetables no matter how they are prepared! I have tried steaming them and letting her feed herself. I have tried purees and veges from baby food jars. Sometimes she will take one bite but most of the time she turns her head and refuses the spoon if it is green or orange! Any suggestions for "tricking" her or teaching her to love her veges. I am planning on weaning her within the next few months so she will really be needing those nutrients and I am worried about her not getting them. She loves pureed fruits, yogurt, prunes & oatmeal mixed together, cheese, and pasta but no veges! It is so frustrating to continue to try giving her food that I have to throw away later (or eat myself).

Default Re: Vege Strike

have you tried to mix it in with the oatmeal?? very little at first and gradually increase the ratio???
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Does she see you eat a lot of veggies? Maybe eating veggies constantly for a while to get her to try them. Maybe she'll want to imitate you?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

well I guess if you are really worried and want to do a bit of work... how about getting that deceptively delicious cookbook and making some stuff out of there for her??

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

We eat veges all the time. My husband is a vegan so it is the staple of our diet. She sees us eating them all the time. Getting the Deceptively Delicious book is a good idea. Thanks!

I would keep offering. If you and your DH eat a lot of veggies just offer off of your plate. I have read that it can take anywhere from 10-21 times of offering a food for your child to accept it. I know in our case, DS will LOVE something one day, and turn his nose up at it the next. I think its in the "How To Confuse Your Parents" manual they are handed upon birth. Yup, I think its right next to "How to wake up just as your Mom fell asleep" and "How to poop out of your diaper when Mommy's wearing white"

Last night we made spaghetti and I pureed fresh spinach and added that to the sauce. I also add powdered greens to our smoothies.

Good luck!
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

How about raw? Raw and cruchy works my house for the following veggies: Snap peas, Broccoli, baby carrots, celery, cucumber and spinach. He will also eat Raw tomatoes but you shouldn't give that to your LO until the year point.....maybe not the baby carrots either....but everything else on the list should be fine now!HTH!

Way too lazy for formula