Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation after 2 weeks

Default Relactation after 2 weeks

My son is almost 7 months old, and 2 weeks ago I threw in the towel after trying since his birth to successfully breastfeed. We've been through cranio-sacral therapy, I work in conjunction with two LCs who seek additional help when needed from Cathy Watson Genna (we live far from NYC), I have pumped, taken herbs and done suck exercises. At near 6 months we finally found a doctor that would recognize his posterior tongue-tie, and were able to get that clipped. He did fine, in fact he would comfort nurse, but after I made the decision not to pump anymore because I didn't see any improvement in his suck, my supply dropped and he decided not to suck anymore. All this combined with trying to raise a active 2 1/2 year old really took a toll, and I had to stop. Now 2 weeks later we are having trouble in that he has decided he doesn't like the taste of formula, and isn't getting enough food. I want to attempt to relactate, although if it starts to affect my parenting again I will stop. My goal is to just pump, and not worry about the breast for now. He won't take it anyways without a steady flow of milk, and absolutely rejects a SNS (we've tried over and over). I'm drinking Mothers Milk and taking Lactate Support...What are ya'lls experience with it? Any advice?

Default Re: Relactation after 2 weeks

How often are you removing milk now? You may need to rent a hospital grade pump if you cannot entice baby to help you.

Unhappy Re: Relactation after 2 weeks

I'm trying for every 2 hours daytime and 3 hour at night. Then in the evenings I go for at least one hour of power pumping when the kiddos lay down. Sometimes my 2 1/2 year old needs me when it comes time to pump, especially now that she's toliet training but I do my best. I have a Medela Symphony I am renting...got everything now I just need milk...lol. I bought some Mothers Milk tea and GAIA Lactate Support herbal blend. I can't take reglan because it makes me exhausted and leaves me prone to depression, so I am relying on these herbs.

Here are some other options to try, just based on my experience:

Oatmeal-- LOTS of it
    Flax Seed oil
    Water!!!!
    Dompheridone (hard to get in the US but can be done online-- fewer side effects than Reglan and works WONDERS for me)
    Goat's Rue (Motherlove makes this as a single tonic seperate from the Special Blend-- take both!)
    Daily dose of metamucil (for the fiber)

I've also heard of taking calcium/magnesium supplements and brewer's yeast, but haven't done them myself (yet)

The power pumping thing is great, too. I've done that one some 3 hour work drives a few times (need a cover and a car adaptor and some courage!), and it has definitely helped my supply get a needed boost.

Good luck!

I feel like I am typing a reply to myself!!!! Bless your heart. I have lived your life (except my other children are 6,6,& 5). Everything else, though -- BEEN THERE!!! (And I mean EVERYTHING else you typed).

Read Jack Newman's pages on domperidone to get your milk to come back fairly quickly. There is info on where to order it on AskLenore.com. If you are interested and can't find where to get it, PM me. The domperidone does not make you tired or feel the "doom and gloom" like the Reglan.

Be careful if there is fennel in the Mother's Milk products. It can help increase milk if taken for a few days, but it dries up milk if continued longer.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Praying for you!

Because a mother may have underlying medical conditions it is good to suggest a mother consult her dr before taking any medication or supplement. Domperidone seems pretty safe, but yet in the galacotogogue protocol for the Academy of Breast feeding Medicine there is something in there about gastrointestinal hemorrhage.

As far as the pump type goes, one of our resident LLLeaders, Karen Gromada has stated that for building a supply up it is best to use a hospital grade breast pump. Many regular types of pumps are really only built for maintaining what you have already got.

Since it's only been a few weeks since you stopped, it shouldn't take too long to get some milk back. Keep up the pumping, and other stuff you are doing.

Are you taking BC pills? If you are, stop for a while, til you get your supply back. Have you seen the adoptive breastfeeding site? They have some good stuff on induced lactation and relactation that may give you some ideas. http://asklenore.com/breastfeeding/i...protocols.html

My husband won't allow me to order the domperidone for financial reasons, and because it's not approved in the US. He's active duty military with a security clearance, and doesn't feel comfortable with ordering it. I am eating oatmeal 1-2x day, GAIA Lactate Support, Mother's Milk, Fenugreek 3 pills/3x day, Rescue Remedy for pumping letdown and taking Metimucil (I have heard a few mom's say it works so why not?)...and I figure the Reglan for a couple of days won't be horrible. Once my supply is up I should be able just to take fenugreek and be fine. Oh, I got a OUNCE during a pump today Thank you for all the advice and encouragement.