Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flu decreased supply!! Oh No!!!

Default Flu decreased supply!! Oh No!!!

I am so concerned because I got the flu and I ran a fever for five days straight. On top of that I was taking Sudafed Severe Cold to help with the pressure in my head and I was sleeping many hours a day. Of course now my milk supply has dropped considerably. My 3 month old cries at the breast within 5 minutes or she thrashes her head around. I know that she is not getting satisfied. What do you suggest I do to help increase my supply? I have done the Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle before for a low supply and I have also done Reglan for a low supply. Is this another instance where I should do those things again or do you think that pumping regularly can help? Any advice would be helpful! TIA!

Default Re: Flu decreased supply!! Oh No!!!

When I had the flu, my supply dropped too. It bounced right back when I was well again. I guess my body was fighting it and just slowed down on milk production. I did make sure I stayed hydrated. Be sure you are drinking plenty of water and eating frequent healthy meals throughout the day.

What is her diaper output like?

From what I understand Sudafed is not breastfeeding friendly because its purpose is to dry up the cold symptoms and results in decreasing milk supply. I am going to go look for some info for you.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed, Actifed) yes L3 (moderately safe) for acute use
    L4 (possibly hazardous) for chronic use due to potential for decreasing milk supply

Pseudoephedrine & milk supply: Thomas Hale Ph. D., a renowned breastfeeding pharmacologist (Breastfeeding Pharmacology), notes that "breastfeeding mothers with poor or marginal milk production should be exceedingly cautious in using pseudoephedrine" and that "it is apparent that mothers in late-stage lactation may be more sensitive to pseudoephedrine and have greater loss in milk production" (Medications and Mother's Milk, 2006 edition).

If you do take pseudoephedrine and notice a drop in milk supply (many moms do not, but research shows that it can decrease milk supply by as much as 24%), simply stop the medication and take measures to increase milk supply - the problem should resolve fairly quickly.
    From http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

Is it possible for you to take a few days of rest with your baby? Just relax, let your body heal and recharge. Drink lots of fluids, eat well, let baby nurse nurse nurse. There is a forum further down the page for Increasing Your Milk that will have some good tips on pumping and fenugreek if those are things that have worked for you in the past.

Good luck Mama
    Lyn
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; February 26th, 2008 at 09:48 PM.
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    From http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

Is it possible for you to take a few days of rest with your baby? Just relax, let your body heal and recharge. Drink lots of fluids, eat well, let baby nurse nurse nurse. There is a forum further down the page for Increasing Your Milk that will have some good tips on pumping and fenugreek if those are things that have worked for you in the past.

Good luck Mama
    Lyn

I agree I had strep for a week and high fevers for 6 days. My supply dropped so low. I just left him at the breast and drank ALOT of fluids. It will come back up you just have to work to get it there.

Well, I am off of the Sudafed for almost three days now. I am also starting to eat more and have less watery bowel movements(tmi, sorry!). I stayed as hydrated as I could while I was sick, but of course I think I sweated a lot of it out while I had the fever. Hopefully I can rest and get things back up to normal. I just feel so bad when she just cries and cries b/c she is still hungry. What do you think about oatmeal? Maybe I should be eating that for breakfast in the mornings to help boost my supply a little, too.

It is hard to rest with a 5 and 3 year old needing my attention, also, so I am going to do the best I can! Wish me luck!

To you cause my 4 year old also had strep the same time as me...and boy was it hard! I eat oatmeal and it seems to help my supply. Wouldn't hurt to try. Also if you can get your two older ones to lay down for a nap in the afternoon at least you could rest in your bed with your lo, if not sleep. Just trying to help you by giving some suggestions. Hope you feel 100 percent soon!

Eek, I can't imagine fighting the flu with 3 kids at home

Yes, oatmeal is a great choice for breakfast. It can help your supply, plus its a really good boost to your day.

Do you allow TV in your house? I was thinking just until you're back up and running the two older kids could watch a movie while you rest with the little one? Not an ideal situation, but it allows you a chance to rest.

Good luck Mama, I'm thinking of you.

Lyn
    Lyn

Thank you for all of your help ladies!!! I talked to my LC yesterday and she wants me to go back on the Blessed Thistle, Fenugreek and Reglan. I started last night. I am also pumping or nursing every two hours. That is a pain in the neck, but I will do it if I have to! Pumping is making me really depressed right now b/c I am only getting drops. I can't believe how much this illness has caused my supply to drop! I will be sure to let you all know how things are going in about a week or so when the Reglan has a chance to do its thing! Thanks again!

Keep in mind that your child is more efficient than the pump
    Lyn

update?

Me (25)
    DH (26)
    DS Born December 5, 2007

Nursed 1 year and we are going on strong!

I am:
    , , , and