Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: random milk

Unhappy random milk

my baby is 5 weeks old and we've been working on getting her on a fairly regular feeding schedule. it works pretty well most days, but today, seemingly all of a sudden, my milk supply just seems to have disappeared. i've tried to nurse and/or pump often to try to build it back up, but it doesn't seem to be working (at least very quickly) and meanwhile my daughter is screaming and acting hungry and won't even take a bottle of pumped milk- screams out while trying to give it to her and just doesn't seem satisfied at all. how can i fix this problem while still trying to maintain some semblance of our schedule? any thoughts?

thanks!
    mer-mom:

Default Re: random milk

5 weeks is a good time for a growth spurt in baby.
    Let her nurse on demand and things should be beter in a few days.
    heres how to increase your supply
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html

Default Re: random milk

Is there a reason you're putting your baby on a schedule? Could you describe the schedule, please? It might help us give you some suggestions.

In the meanwhile, try to hold your baby and nurse as often as she will. Do you think she may be coming down with an illness?

Red face Re: random milk

i'm putting her on a "flexible schedule" so that i don't go insane with nursing every half hour and so that my body can be on a routine- i can't live without some sort of routine! we have off days and on days and we're still trying to figure each other out, so we'll take things as they come and try to do our best, right? (she's my first baby). thanks for responding!

mer-mom: