Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can supply decline suddenly?

Default Can supply decline suddenly?

First of all I just wanted to say thankyou to all of you wonderful mommies who have been so helpful and encouraging. I have a complicated question. My LO is 9 1/2 weeks old and has been nursing on demand since day 1. He had been demanding to nurse about every 3 hours during the day, but the past several days he has consistently wanted to nurse every 2 hours. I am concerned that my milk production has decreased for some reason and that he isn't getting enough. Until 4 days ago I had oversupply/overactive let down which caused coughing/choking, but now it seems like my breasts are pretty empty and I can't really hear him swallowing alot like I used to hear. (I had been nursing on 1 side at each feeding, but now he is still hungry after the 1st side.) Could he be nursing every 2 hours because he hit a growth spurt and is trying to build up my supply (can't see that he would need to because of the oversupply issue) OR is he hungry now every 2 hours because my milk production declined suddenly? Along with this increased nursing he isn't sleeping well AT ALL! We put him down for a nap and it lasts 30 minutes at most (often 5-10 minutes). He seems to be a lot fussier and he is smacking his lips and sucking on his hand A LOT! Could all of this just be a growth spurt at 9 weeks or is my supply declining. It just seemed to happen so suddenly. He is still having 6-8+ wet diapers and several stools every day. Please give input or advice if anyone can help.

Default Re: Can supply decline suddenly?

If you had wanted to write a post describing a growth spurt, I don't think you could have done a better job! Increased frequency of nursing, less milk left in the breast, disturbed sleep patterns and fussiness- that all says "growth spurt" to me. Just hang in there, shelve your other commitments, and nurse on cue! Your baby will have your milk supply right where he wants it pretty soon.

It really does sound like a growth spurt. How many wets/dirties is he having now? If he's still having a normal normal of wets and dirties, then that's a good sign that he's getting plenty in.

Milk supply hardly ever goes away without a good reason. Starting any medications, including birth control, can impact milk supply. So, if you're recently started anything, then you could indeed be seeing a lower milk supply. From your description, though, it sounds much like a growth spurt.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Question Re: Can supply decline suddenly?

He has AT LEAST 6-8 wet diapers per day (some completely drenched others just damp). I haven't started any medication or changed anything else. He just seems hungry ALL THE TIME and I worry that something could be wrong. As long as he continues to have alot of wet and poopie diapers is he definitely getting enough?

yup...
    some newborns need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours.
    they will cluster feed too where they want to nurse along time to tank up to sleep.
    You can do it..
    IF baby is having wets and poops then your doing fine.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/spurt.html

I agree.
    You may see even upwards of 12 times per 24 hour period. My own baby simply stayed latched on for hours. It was really really hard. But they send the signal to make more milk when they fully drain the breast over and over. Give your body a week or so to figure out what is needed, and just keep nursing on demand. The objective is to increase your supply- no supplementing!
    Stocking an area with water and snacks will help you navigate a frequency period.