Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting plain tired of it...

Default getting plain tired of it...

Ok, so Eden is 21 months old and nursing about 2-3 times a day on the weekdays and up to 8 on the weekends. I love that my toddler thinks my bub bubs are the greatest thing in the world, but i have to admit, i'm just getting tired of having her hang on me. It seems like her latch is perpetually lazy, and with a mouth full of teeth i can't just grin a bear it anymore. My boobs have been off limits to DF for 21 months b/c i can't take being groped by 2 people everyday...i'm just not gettign those same warm fuzzy feelings i used to get. I've cut her down and will even refuse to nurse, and she handles it pretty well for the most part (plus i can reason with her, "bub bubs are empty, you drank it all"...and she understands), but i'm finding myself staring at the clock cringing while she's nursing and i can't stand it for more than a few minutes anymore.

I've taken an couple weekend trips and most recently a 4 day trip where i didn't even have to pump, so i know i'm not producing much (she did fine by the way, although on day 3 of my being gone Eden demanded to her nana "Nana, bra off now. want bub bub" when they were changing into bathing suits...)

So i guess my question is this, how do you let nursing go with out feeling guilty? I know WHO says 2 years, and as long as both mom and baby are willing thereafter, but i feel like i should be willing to as long as she is, or i'm somehow cheating her.

I don't want to cringe when i think about nursing or have bad memories of such a beautiful nursing relationship, but i don't want to stop just b/c i'm annoyed, but i'm getting REALLY annoyed. I want my nipples back. Does that make sense?

Ugh, any adivce or input would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: getting plain tired of it...

First of all, pat yourself on your back because you have done an amazing job! I'm only heading into my eigth month of breastfeeding and I'm just praying I can make it to a year. It's a lot of work, dedication and takes up a lot of time. The thing that is important to remember is that if you have hit the wall, there is no reason to feel guilty for ending the breastfeeding relationship. If she starts to feel that you are annoyed and that you may not be enjoying the relationship as much as you once did, then it may become more strain for her and for you. If you feel that are are done, then I think it would be a good time to find other ways to bond with her. She has received the best benefits she can get from you these past 21 months. If you are just having a down day and feel overwhelmed with the responsibility, then this too shall pass. Wake up tomorrow and continue the path you have chosen to get you to 24 months, if that is your goal. No matter what though, you should not feel guilty. You should feel proud and thankful that you've been able to go this long. So many are not able to make it this long for one reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden's Mom View Post
    I want my nipples back. Does that make sense?
    That makes perfect sense to me! I want my nips back, too. Some days I'm perfectly content to allow DD (24 months) total access, other days I just want her to stop groping me. I'm contemplating weaning DD sometime in the next 6 months, as I'm thinking weaning will be easier when the weather is better and I can distract her with a trip outside.

Don't feel guilty about wanting to wean! I think it's totally normal to want your body back, and whatever conclusion you come to, you've already done a fantastic thing for your baby.

I am afraid I don't have any BTDT advice for you. Lately I've been thinking how great it would be if DS weaned all on his own in the next few months but I see no evidence that is happening any time soon. Sorry I can't help!

Quote Originally Posted by Trisha View Post
    Lately I've been thinking how great it would be if DS weaned all on his own in the next few months but I see no evidence that is happening any time soon.

Just hearing that helps actually, that's the way i've been feeling more and more, and now it's turning into aggravation. I just want her to say "no more bub bub mama" And for us to move on to the next phase w/o me feeling like i'm depriving her of something she loves...and boy does she love it. I'm having such ambivalent feelings...thanks for the input ladies!

Oh honey, yes, pat yourself on the back -

GUILTY?!?!? Don't feel guilty! You have nursed your baby for almost 2 years! What an accomplishment! That is something to be proud of!

My dd is just 14 months but sometimes I get to daydreaming about having my boobies back and just exactly how I'm going to go about doing it...
    Here's my idea: What if you tell dd that in 7 days boo boo (our word for it, insert ya'll's here) will go bye bye, no more nursing boo boo, then 6 days, 5 days, so on...talk about it...have as open dialogue as possible about it and then, nursing is finished. And then, because she'll probably be sad, she can 'hand nurse mommy' - just let her lay her hand on your chest while she falls asleep...just for a couple days, to help with the transition...

Easier said than done, though, I'm sure.

Good luck! Don't feel guilty!!! You're great!

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

Hi def. don't feel bad i feel exactly the same way with my DD who will be 3 in june...i've had enough of it already and sometimes i lose my patience with her especially in the middle of the night when she just wont sleep and she's been nursing forever on and off for hours. i get angry and tell her she's not going to have num nums anymore she's too big and she needs to start sleeping without it. ofcourse then i feel bad afterwards for saying that but i'm so tired at that point i can't handle it anymore and it does annoy me now when she nurses and i know i dont have much milk so its just a comfort thing but enough already, she probably would nurse straight through elementary school if i let her and there is no way..i could use some advice too on how to wean without hurting her emotionally due to it, and ofcourse her doctor is no help cause she thought i should have weaned her 2 yrs ago and had her in her own bed..

Quote Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
    Hi def. don't feel bad i feel exactly the same way with my DD who will be 3 in june...i've had enough of it already and sometimes i lose my patience with her especially in the middle of the night when she just wont sleep and she's been nursing forever on and off for hours. i get angry and tell her she's not going to have num nums anymore she's too big and she needs to start sleeping without it. ofcourse then i feel bad afterwards for saying that but i'm so tired at that point i can't handle it anymore and it does annoy me now when she nurses and i know i dont have much milk so its just a comfort thing but enough already, she probably would nurse straight through elementary school if i let her and there is no way..i could use some advice too on how to wean without hurting her emotionally due to it, and ofcourse her doctor is no help cause she thought i should have weaned her 2 yrs ago and had her in her own bed..
    OMG...OMG! Your 3-year old is still waking up at night to nurse? It doesn't freakin' end? Oh, I really don't need to hear this...I can't go on the way I am now for another two years - there will be an empty place in the bed because I will have snuck off in the middle of the night to go somewhere where I can sleep uninterrupted.
    My kid is going to be like his dad who was unwillingly weaned at nearly 4 years of age. Oh woe is me, woe is me...

With all my moaning and complaining, I almost forgot to put a for you.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

yes that is how i feel when i read some of the posts and hear about ppl still nursing at ages 5 and 6 even 10...no way my dd would too im sure if i let her but i just can't deal with it

Mine turned three in February and still wakes up in the night to feed!
    BUT I am starting to feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel!
    REALLY
    The past week or so she is not nursing nearly as much...
    I'm glad summer is coming, less feeling sick, so hopefully less nursing.

She's told me she stops when she's 4. Do I believe it? HA!

I have been in that extremely tired, wanting to stop place...that's gone over too. :-)