Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often?

Default How often?

My daughter is 1 and she mainly nurses at night. She will nurse before meals... a little and of course before bed.

1. How often is okay?
    2. Will my breast milk continue if she slows down?
    3. Can I convince her to nurse more? or should I? (usually it doesn't work...)

I do feel very guilty when she sees me pouring her brother a sippy cup and she gets SOOOO excited! She wants one!! I do end up giving her a sippy cup with water.... if I try to nurse, she will turn away and attack her brother for his cup.

I hope to continue this for as long as I can....sigh... How do often/how long do your toddlers nurse?

Default Re: How often?

Quote Originally Posted by wendieann
    My daughter is 1 and she mainly nurses at night. She will nurse before meals... a little and of course before bed.

1. How often is okay?
    2. Will my breast milk continue if she slows down?
    3. Can I convince her to nurse more? or should I? (usually it doesn't work...)

I do feel very guilty when she sees me pouring her brother a sippy cup and she gets SOOOO excited! She wants one!! I do end up giving her a sippy cup with water.... if I try to nurse, she will turn away and attack her brother for his cup.

I hope to continue this for as long as I can....sigh... How do often/how long do your toddlers nurse?

Awww! It is so beautiful to hear how much you enjoy your bf relationship! To respond to your questions...
    1. As often as SHE needs to. At this stage bf is as much about emotional need as it is nutritional. As long as you are cool with her nursing, there is no need to be concerned she is nursing too much.
    2. Absolutely! BF is a great example of the law of supply and demand. Some babies slow down for a while and may need to pick back up during an illness or time of stress. Nature insures that there will be enough there- the more or less she nurses the more or less will be there.
    3. You don't need to, but if you want to you can try. Some mothers nurse when baby seems to need comfort, like when cranky, during a tantrum, or after a tumble or scare. The nice thing about bm is that there are pain relieving endorphins that help baby feel better when hurt, in addition to the emotion comfort your arms provide!

There is nothing wrong with offering water. Many mothers offer their bf babies water with meals when they start solids.

LLL believes that ideally the breastfeeding relationship should continue until the baby outgrows the need. This means a different time for each individual child. It is rare that a child weans naturally before two years old and some children nurse well in to childhood. Worldwide, the average weaning age is 4 years old!!! There's a wonderful book called, "How Weaning Happens, " by diane bengson. You can get it through LLL or on amazon.
    Hope this helps! Keep us posted!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi