Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I stop pumping at work and only BF at night?

Default Can I stop pumping at work and only BF at night?

I have been having a lot of nipple issues (pain, cracking, bleeding) when I pump at work. I stop pumping over the weekend when my son is Bfed and my nipples heal a bit and then when monday morning comes around, I tear them up the first pumping session. I have tried constant Lanolin, decreasing the pump settings, reducing pumping sessions to one per day (and make up the difference with formula).
    I just don't know what to do anymore. This is the 4th week or so that I've got this reoccurring problem. I want to know if it's possible to give up pumping at work and Bfeed only at night.
    How is that going to screw up my supply? will there be enough for him?
    Will I have to do the same thing over the weekend to keep consistant? Can I do this temporarily until I completely heal and go back to pumping at work?

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Karen

Mom to Nathaniel 10/14/05
    Eli 6/7/07
    Last edited by NatesMama; February 26th, 2008 at 11:40 AM.

Default Re: Can I stop pumping at work and only BF at night?

I can't give you a clear answer but i'll send you some because i know what can happen to nipples with lots of pumping. and the only thing that worked to heal them was when LO nursed for a day or so. How long are you at work? maybe it would be like if LO was sleeping longer and it might not effect your supply greatly, but IDK. How about manual pumping/hand expressing. That might help... I dont' have a link but i'm sure someone on here will. Good Luck

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

how are the flanges..i found an amazing diff when I got the next size, the ones that came with the pump were too small, some one in a previous post sent a great link with pics of how your nip is supposed to look when being "sucked" on!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

heres something on combo feeding...

are you having burning pain with the cracks?
    that can be thrush and that can take a while to lick.
    have you tried hand expression?
    some moms have beter luck with hand expression.

I do have the larger horns (27 mm) for the pump.
    I do have a burning pain with the cracks. The cracks are really gross and blood red but my nipples do look a little white afterwards but not before pumping. I asked the pediatrician to check my son for thrush and he said that he didn't have it. When I am finished pumping, there is skin peeling off the nipple each time. It's just a gross, painful activity.

I did read the Kellymom article that you referred to me. It was helpful. thank you. I just am scared to actually try doing anything different.
    I really do want to keep breastfeeding my son but this pain is making me think otherwise.

thanks.

Karen

I use bigger ones -- I think they're size 30 mm. And then I think there's even another bigger size (I tried those too, but my output decreased with that really huge size, so I went back down to the 30s). Maybe look for the next size up?

Quote Originally Posted by NatesMama View Post
    I do have the larger horns (27 mm) for the pump.
    I do have a burning pain with the cracks. The cracks are really gross and blood red but my nipples do look a little white afterwards but not before pumping. I asked the pediatrician to check my son for thrush and he said that he didn't have it. When I am finished pumping, there is skin peeling off the nipple each time. It's just a gross, painful activity.

I did read the Kellymom article that you referred to me. It was helpful. thank you. I just am scared to actually try doing anything different.
    I really do want to keep breastfeeding my son but this pain is making me think otherwise.

thanks.

Karen

So, I stopped pumping at work, it wasn't too bad.
    I am now in even more pain when Eli nurses. ugh.
    So, now, thanks to one of your replies above, I am thinking it's thrush.
    Got to go figure that one out.
    ugh
    thanks everyone.

Karen