Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: no vitamins??!!??

Default no vitamins??!!??

My friend had a baby 10 days before me! (my lo is 6.5 mo) we had a playdate last week and she was shocked that my lo didnt get vitamins at her 6 mo checkup. I quickly said I guess bec I breastfeed and I take prenatals so it is not necc!!!...is this true???..or did I make that up??

OH and i was secretly happy my lo doesnt take any bec the liquid vitamins she gave smelled and made his poor lil breath smell too!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Default Re: no vitamins??!!??

Vitamin D, or other vitamins? I personally don't buy into the whole blanket recommendation of Vit D supplementing for BF babies (hmmm, Enfamil makes the only vit D drops around here and rumour is they paid for the study that triggered that recommendation)... I can't imagine what other vitamins the baby would be getting...?... That sounds really weird to me.

oh i forgot to clearly add that her DS is on formula
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Some peds recommend vitamins for bf babies and some don't. At our 6 month appt the doctor mentioned vit d but said it was totally up to us if we wanted to give it. At our 9 month checkup they recommeded we give DD an iron supplement because her iron levels were low. There is some arguments that this is not necessarily needed in bf babies (probably in those links). At our 15 month checkup we asked if we still needed to give the vitamin and I was told no that bf was like a great big multivitamin.

It all depends on who you ask! I have no idea if formula fed babies are asked to take vitamins more than bf babies are.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)