Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about supply

Default question about supply

ok on other Forums/Message boards I am on people often talk about not having enough milk and having to put their babies onto formula.

now my understanding is that the more a baby feeds off you the more milk you produce? also wouldn't giving formula interfere with your supply therefore making less milk.

I guess my question is how do you know when you have a low supply?

Default Re: question about supply

Quote Originally Posted by Megan's Mum View Post
    ok on other Forums/Message boards I am on people often talk about not having enough milk and having to put their babies onto formula.
    Yes, unfortunately many women receive bad advice about breastfeeding and don't understand how the milk making process works. Also many still get those free formula samples in the mail when they're pregnant or even in the hospital. Then they've got the (wrong) idea that they might actually need them and it's safe and harmless to use them (it's not.)

now my understanding is that the more a baby feeds off you the more milk you produce? also wouldn't giving formula interfere with your supply therefore making less milk.
    Yes, and yes.

I guess my question is how do you know when you have a low supply?
    By counting the baby's wet and poopy diapers, and by weight gain. Every other type of information (pumping output, baby's behavior, etc.) can mislead you.

You can read more here:

How does milk production work?
    Increasing Low Milk Supply
    Weaning from formula supplements

Maybe pass some of these links along to your friends in other forums!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.