Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 month old feeding poorly

Unhappy 5 month old feeding poorly

Hi all, We have a nearly 5 month old boy (born 04/10/2007) who is not feeding well and not putting on much weight. He was born 6 weeks premature at a weight of 2.35kg(5lb 2oz). He was quite colicky between 6 wks and 3 months but has settled down a bit lately. At his 4 month check he was 5.8kg and 64cm long. He is still around the same weight and not feeding very well (breast mostly and the odd bottle when he won't take the breast). We find ourselves trying to feed him every 2 hours - routine of feed-play-feed-sleep - and it's very frustrating. He also seems to be getting a lot of wind when he feeds which really upsets him until he can burp it up. Every now and then he is really hungry and he feeds quite well.

Anyone got any ideas how to help this little boy eat a bit more, in a 3 or 4 hr routine without it bothering him?

Cheers

Default Re: 5 month old feeding poorly

Hello, sorry you're having some problems! There are some suggestions to start you off here:

How might I increase baby's weight gain?
    Protocol for Increasing Breastmilk Intake by the Baby
    Breast Compression

How's his output? Is he making enough wet and poopy diapers? Have you gotten any real-life help at all, like from an IBCLC or a LLL leader or group? That's the first thing I would do.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.