Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Concerned my 9mo old is not getting enough

Default Concerned my 9mo old is not getting enough

As stated in the thread title, I'm concerned my DS (he'll be 10mos. next week) is not getting enough BM. He's been on solids for a few months now, 3 meals/1 snack a day. His diapers just don't seem wet enough. Obviously they won't be as wet as they were when I EBF but I feel they should be more wet than what they are. I started giving him water in a sippy a couple months ago in the hopes that he'd learn to drink from it. Just in the last week, he's finally mastered it and every time I give him water, he drinks like he hasn't had anything to drink in forever. How do I really know if he's getting enough?

He was nursing every 4-5hrs before. For awhile, I tried to nurse him more frequently but he's the kinda kid that won't eat if he's not interested. So eventually I stopped trying. This week I started trying to nurse him after he wakes up from his naps and he's not resisting. Also, sometimes I just don't hear him swallowing. Tonight when I was nursing him down for bed, he was trying really hard to suck/tug on my leftie b/c it seemed like he wasn't getting anything.

Sorry if my post is everywhere! I'm trying to include as much info as possible. I'm just concerned and not really sure what I should do...

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Concerned my 9mo old is not getting enough

How much food is he getting, solid-wise? I know that when babies begin eating solids, they start the weaning process, but I don't know much more detailed information on it. Maybe a more experienced mom would know more specifics on it than I.

Lo should get anywhere from 4 or more meals of mb per day, about 20 to 30 ounces total. (Should have more wet diapers from the sound of it.) Then three meals of solids per day totaling 10 to 15 ounces of food.

I would ditch the sippy cup and back off the solids (cut out the snack for sure as it's probably not necessary anyway) a bit until you're confident in the amount of bm your lo is getting. Are you nursing before you give solids? Babies at this age, from what I understand, usually associate satisfying hunger with nursing, not solids. Do you find this is the case with you?

It sounds like you're pretty certain that there is a supply issue. To rev up your supply, switch sides at least once, if not two or three times each nursing session, which may also help keep him more interested in nursing. Until babies are a year old, their main source of calories and nutrients is bm. Maybe cutting back on the water and smaller solid meals will help him want to nurse more, then you can nurse on demand which also helps rev up supply. Do you have a pump?

Call your nurse too just in case-it may help you to know what to watch for and to talk to her about your concern for his chugging water.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Also try some breast compressions while nursing to keep the milk flowing towards the end of a session.

thanks for the replies ladies!

mamamags, It's hard to determine how much solids ds is eating b/c we're no longer doing purees. He's on table foods. I'm pretty certain he is w/in the 10-15oz. mark though. Before, he was nursing 4-5 times/day. Now it's at least 7 w/ the added feedings. When he's hungry, he's hungry and will take bm or solids. When he's REALLY wanting to nurse he starts getting very whiny, comes to me and starts to rub his face in my chest.

I do have a (hand) pump but generally only use it when he misses/refuses a nursing session. I should also mention that I got AF back last month and she is here now. I know sometimes that can mess w/ supply too.

FWIW, I probably change ds's diapers 4-5 times a day, more if he poops. How wet should his diapers be? They are not sopping wet. Just a little wet, like maybe he peed once or twice in there.

carpenetergirl, I do do hand compressions when nursing. It does generally help b/c I will hear him swallowing.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Darn that Aunt Flo!!!

What kind of diapers are you using? I don't know if that makes a difference, but I don't use cloth so I don't know how wet those (are supposed to) get. I like for my son's diapers to feel more than just damp. I like a good soaking to know that he's getting enough.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. I would just say to be sure to nurse just before giving solids and to see if his wet output improves.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!