Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with constant constipation HELP!!!

Default Dealing with constant constipation HELP!!!

hey,
    my 14 month old seems to ALWAYS be constipated, she has been on solids for a while now, and has always had an issue with bannas, but latley i cant even give her a piece of cheese and she is constipated, i have been trying to incorporate foods into her diet that will help her but its really frustrating, cuz i feel like im making her constipated cuz i dont watch what i give her. any ideas, could something be wrong with her??? prunes really seem to clean her out, but do i need to give her prunes everyday so she is not constipated??? HELP!!
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

Default Re: Dealing with constant constipation HELP!!!

can you stir in a spoonful of prunes in all her meals to give her other foods but sneak in what works!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Can you describe the "constipation"?

And dairy products can be very constipation so it's not surprising cheese would do it.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]how do i describe constipation??? hard pellet type poops, she cries when she goes so im guessing it hurts?? do you think whole milk would do it?? we started her on whole milk the beginning of january and it has been on and off constipation since, i didnt think milk would constipate you so i didnt consider not giving it to her, if it does constipate her, what should i give her instead, does yougurt constipate then to ??? she eats that, looks like im just feeding this problem[ thanks for your help
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to

For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

Indeed - I would bet $ it's the milk.

Yogurt is a better option but only if it would be the kind w/o all the sugar. You can get plain yogurt and add fruits to it
    She doesn't "need" the milk/dairy if youre still nursing. She can get her calcium needs from other sources.

(FWIW my DS is allergic to dairy - so he doesn't get any - it can be done)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

And on the prune thing....Most P fruits Pears work nicely too and are easy to work regularly into diet. As are PLUMS(Prunes before they become prune) and I believe peaches work as well. So it's not just prunes that move things along!HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

I know this is a bit different but when we started solids my dd had/has some constipation issues. I starting giving her infant probiotics and it has helped alot. When i gave them to her everyday she pooped to much so I give them 3 times a week and it seems to help her poop and keeps her poop soft. Basically its the good bacteria in yogurt. or maybe you could try one of those activia yogurts?? My dd's is a powder and I mix it in applesauce.
    other than that maybe you can beef up the fiber in her diet if she isn't too picky. Make sure all her breads/grains (pasta etc ) are ww and 100 % whole grain. Lots of fruit. Maybe sprinkle some wheat germ or flax (if its okay that age) in her yogurt or applesauce or mac and cheese.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

thanks for all you guys help, i didnt think that milk would do it but maybe , is is something she will grow out of??, it wouldnt be an allergic reaction to milk would it?? (not one i ever heard of) she is not nursing, so i guess ill have to try some things and see if they work, thanks!!
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to

dairy is a common cause for constipation and other digestive 'disturbances'. She most likely will grow out of it - but she also may have trouble with dairy for life. some people just can't tolerate it as it's not a "natural" substance humans should have kwim?

can you offer soy milk, or hemp? there are many alternatives Let us know what we can help you with as many of us on the allergy boards deal with the avoidance of dairy daily

oh and probiotics are a good idea to look into

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

call me dumb but what are probiotics?? and where do i get them/it ect
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to