Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: comfort sucking/bfing/teething

Default comfort sucking/bfing/teething

Hi everyone,

I can't figure out what is going with my son. For maybe three days now, when my son naps he wakes up every hour of his nap and wants to nurse/comfort suck. He usually will take a 2-4hour nap uninterrupted so this waking constantly is unusual and frustrating. Last night, though, was the worst this problem has ever been. Usually, at bed time he sleeps through the night without a problem, even if his naps weren't` like the usual. Last night he went down at 9:30, which is a little bit early for him. He'll usually be down by 10:30-11pm and wake at 8am. Last night he basically refused to stay asleep if I wasn't there to let him comfort suck. Then after about 1am he keep waking up and starting to fuss. Each time, while I was more asleep than awake, I'd latch him on and he would settle down and go back to sleep. We did this again every hour or half an hour (I was half a sleep so I don't know). Finally around 5am he was getting too fussy so I finally let him sit up because apparently he wanted to play. I put him in his exersaucer and he played for about 45min, then started to cry because he was cold. After another 15min of playing on the bed he finally went down probably around 6, uninterrupted until nearly 9am.

There's only two things that I think maybe causing this: 1. He went to sleep too early...he did this once before, woke up at 5 to play, but without the constant waking 2.) He could be teething? We just noticed the other day that what may look like teeth are starting to show on his bottom gums, besides this he hasn't been really fussy, no red cheeks, fever, bumps on his gums. Could it be that it only bothers him in his sleep

Also, could it be my fault -bc I let him nurse to sleep? The only time we sleep together always is at nighttime, all other naps he does by himself.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: comfort sucking/bfing/teething

might be teething, my daughter seems to be mostly bothered at night with hers too and she doesn't have any teeth showing yet or bumps. Try sticking your finger in his mouth and see if he clamps down with his gums. If so, that's probably at least part of what's bothering him. By the way, I'm envious of the 2-4 hour nap, my dd has taken to power napping and doesn't like to nap by herself, so she's in my lap off and on all day.

Default Re: comfort sucking/bfing/teething

That's probably why I get so frustrated when he's like this but I try not to resent it too much bc generally I get off rather easy from what I hear. Have you tried a ring sling or wrap? During the day if my son if having a really hard time taking his nap I'll wear him for about an hour or so while waking or watching tv and he'll sleep longer. Of course, that's because he's still wearable in the front that is, I'm not sure how comfortable that would be on you back for you or him.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!