Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not latching on properly

Angry not latching on properly

Hi,
    I don't think my bb, 10 days old, is latching on properly, he seems to be getting just the nipple and gets very agitated. I'm also complementing him with formula after trying the breast since he won't settle.
    I've been to a breastfeeding help center and they told me he latched on ok while i was there, but this doesn't happen at home. When my midwife comes to visist he seems to latch on differently as well. For some reason when I'm on my own it's just a disaster and I cry and the baby cries and then I have to give him a bottle of formula and I feel even worse.... Help!!!!
    D

Default Re: not latching on properly

don't be afraid to take him off and relatch him a number of times. it will be frustrating, but you will know when he gets a good latch.

also, be sure you are calm and relaxed before bringing the baby to your breast. you may be agitated before you even start because of the problems you have had. the baby can sense that and not feed properly.

i had the exact same problems, but now my dd latches just fine. it took a lot of patience on my part and ended up with a nipple shield and everything. at least your baby is latching on - that is GREAT!

Thank you!

How long did it take for your baby to latch well?

Also, you say I'll know when he has a good latch but I'm never sure. It doesn't hurt when he sucks, IF he sucks..., and I don't feel much pressure but a friend of mine said you shouldn't feel that much pressure because the baby is still very small, 2.7kg.

What do you think? If he falls asleep after nursing, does it mean he's had milk?

thanks for the support
    daniela

Thank you!

How long did it take for your baby to latch well?

Also, you say I'll know when he has a good latch but I'm never sure. It doesn't hurt when he sucks, IF he sucks..., and I don't feel much pressure but a friend of mine said you shouldn't feel that much pressure because the baby is still very small, 2.7kg.

What do you think? If he falls asleep after nursing, does it mean he's had milk?

thanks for the support
    daniela

Quote Originally Posted by MissPeyton
    don't be afraid to take him off and relatch him a number of times. it will be frustrating, but you will know when he gets a good latch.

also, be sure you are calm and relaxed before bringing the baby to your breast. you may be agitated before you even start because of the problems you have had. the baby can sense that and not feed properly.

i had the exact same problems, but now my dd latches just fine. it took a lot of patience on my part and ended up with a nipple shield and everything. at least your baby is latching on - that is GREAT!

did you check the articles on the lll website? are you having your baby open his mouth WIDE? can you hear him swallowing? he should be getting around 1 1/2 inches of your breast in his mouth. also go to kellymom.com there's probably some good ideas there.