Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight Gain Issues?

Unhappy Weight Gain Issues?

**If this is in the wrong place I"m sorry...feel free to move it.

Today I took DS in for his well baby check (he is 10 mo) His weight was 16.12 lbs. He has lost about a LB. My MD told me he's not too concerned since the family just got over being sick and he had recently started eating solids again (He had gone to exclusively nursing.) He eats so well, he loves to eat, if it's food it goes into his little belly. But he also is a major boob junkie...and nurses all the time and my mom is jumping on me that I am being selfish and need to no longer offer him the breast... I can't do that to him, he'd lose it...

I am going to offer him more solids, but not take away breastfeeding...anyone with suggestions on things that might help him keep the weight on?? He is quite the mover so I know it's his metabolism is insane...but I don't want to supplement!!!

Oh I'm sorry i'm a mess my thoughts are everywhere and I"m in tears as I type.

Default Re: Weight Gain Issues?

Don't worry mama.

Your doc sounds like a wise one Just keep doing what you have been doing to date and he'll bounce right back. When my DS was sick last summer, he too lost a lb. but the doc understands how that works and since he was "fine" before she didn't worry (nor did I)

You haven't failed him

Here's a list of some food ideas (page 5 - don't worry about the first pages if there aren't allergy issues), if you haven't seen it already
    Here's a great LLL FAQ's page with more resources
    Last edited by Number3; February 25th, 2008 at 01:01 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

scales can be wrong and the nurses can make mistakes writing stuff down also, maybe he didn't loose a pound at all..

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    scales can be wrong and the nurses can make mistakes writing stuff down also, maybe he didn't loose a pound at all..
    They reweighted him right in front of me (sadly the MD and I both encounter this problem with his nurse EVERY VISIT) so he always double checks his stats.

Everything else is normal, and he's from a LONG line of very tall thin people (except for DH who is the short chubby one at 6'3" 250)

I guess I worry most because when I walked out my mom called and the first things said were, "Malnutrition because of your selfish need."

Quote Originally Posted by mommymarla View Post
    They reweighted him right in front of me (sadly the MD and I both encounter this problem with his nurse EVERY VISIT) so he always double checks his stats.

Everything else is normal, and he's from a LONG line of very tall thin people (except for DH who is the short chubby one at 6'3" 250)

I guess I worry most because when I walked out my mom called and the first things said were, "Malnutrition because of your selfish need."
    That's too bad. Doesnt sound too supportive but if he was sick, it's reasonable he lost a little weight. BM is the best thing for him - especailly in this sick season
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I'd be done talking to my mom if she said something like that to me.

maybe this would help for an older child!
    http://xpedio02.childrenshc.org/stel...ure/018953.pdf
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; February 25th, 2008 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mommymarla View Post
    Malnutrition is a serious deal, it's not losing a lb after being sick. That was a really insensitive thing to say! It is also not selfish, breastfeeding is about the most selfless thing you can do for your child.
    Besides that, babies do not nurse to please you, or because you want them to. They will turn you down cold, and not give 2 cents about your feelings (I think I read this in How Weaning Happens)

Breast milk is much more nutrient dense than almost any foods out there, so feeding a baby more food and less breast milk isn't a good idea for gaining weight. Foods should never replace breast milk during the first year.

You are doing a great job!! Keep it up, you know your baby best.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Here's a great page that talks about breastmilk composition and has some reassuring info to counter the idea that you're not giving baby enough nutrition - because you are

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Unfortunately many of our moms are misinformed about breastfeeding and sometimes a little education, or a simple "my doctor recommends i continue" is in order. I try to be patient (some days it's easier to 'try' than others!) b/c I know my mother or MIL would never knowingly recommend something harmful for their grandchild... they just don't know any better. I know my mom was seriously shocked to find out that the current recommendation is a minimum of two years. Knowing that all the pediatricians in the country are on my side put an end to the 'are you still nursing that baby?' comments

Just keep on doing what you're doing, and try to offer more 'nutrient dense' solids (bananas instead of apples, etc). I've also been adding olive oil and EBM to my LO's solids, as he's been having weight gain issues for months, and that seems to be helping.

Quote Originally Posted by lee_momof3 View Post
    Just keep on doing what you're doing, and try to offer more 'nutrient dense' solids (bananas instead of apples, etc). I've also been adding olive oil and EBM to my LO's solids, as he's been having weight gain issues for months, and that seems to be helping.
    DS is a slow weight gainer also and I give him bananas and avocado (mixed w/ BM), I also read that mixing coconut oil in the baby food is good. I haven't done yet b/c DS just started solids but I plan on adding olive and coconut oil in a month or two for now I just add BM to all his solid foods. You are doing a great thing by BFing your LO It's the best thing you could be doing for him IMO.