Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many poop & pee diapers at 3weeks?

Default How many poop & pee diapers at 3weeks?

Hi ladies,

All the diaper/breastfeeding charts I find are for the first week.

How about beyond the first week? How many poop & pee diapers should a 3 week old have. Also, if they are exceeding the wet, but falling short of the poop, should that be a concern? Example: 12 wet & 3 poop in 24 hours.

Thanks,
    Fay

Default Re: How many poop & pee diapers at 3weeks?

This is a good number, babies should have 5-6 wet diapers and 3-4 BM's in a 24 hour period. This goes up to 6 weeks when things start to change a bit and it's ok if BM's start to change in frequency.

If you are seeing under that, baby should be under doctors supervision to rule out any medical causes, and you should be in touch with a IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) to talk about possible breastfeeding problems.

HTH
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJessica View Post
    This is a good number, babies should have 5-6 wet diapers and 3-4 BM's in a 24 hour period. This goes up to 6 weeks when things start to change a bit and it's ok if BM's start to change in frequency.

If you are seeing under that, baby should be under doctors supervision to rule out any medical causes, and you should be in touch with a IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) to talk about possible breastfeeding problems.

HTH

And here's a link for babies 6 weeks or less and one here for 6 weeks or more
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzybunnyslippers View Post
    Also, if they are exceeding the wet, but falling short of the poop, should that be a concern? Example: 12 wet & 3 poop in 24 hours.

Hello again! How are things going for you now? Any improvement?

To answer your question, it really depends on the overall output. Are the three poops small (think a little bigger than a US Quarter), medium, or large (think creeping up the back and reaching towards the leg holes of the diaper)?

Things appear to be going great now. Although I have stopped attempting to bf for the time being (for my sanity) and am pumping 10 times per day. The LC and the pedi originally wanted me to feed her formula, bf and pump every 2 hours (because of her significant weight drop) - and I felt like I was going to have a nervous breakdown.

We went to the pedi yesterday and she weighed 3.54kg (which I think is 7lbs 12oz according to an earlier post). She was 3 weeks old yesterday.

I am going to attempt to bf again once I feel my sanity has returned somewhat.

I also have a potential low milk issue due to my PCOS. The LC and pedi told me to go back onto my Metformin. Once at full dose (next week), we will monitor my milk production. There is some concern that I may not be able to produce a full supply. I was very bad today though and only pumped 3 times. I did get around 250ml total from those 3 sessions (15 min each), which I don't think was too terrible. perhaps the metformin is working. I was so focused on getting our taxes done, that DH played Mr. Mom today & took care of the LO (giving her expressed bm and formula).

As for the poop diapers. The 3 we counted were much much larger than a quarter. Also, I'm not sure if we should've written down 6 or not. On one of the poop diapers, we took her diaper off & she pooped again. Then again. Each time was definately more than a quarter. We only counted it as 1. Should we have counted that as 3 for a total of 6 diapers for the day???

I will get back on track tomorrow....as I am going to bed NOW (9pm)

Thank you all for your insight & support!!!

Fay
    mommy to Faith 22 days old
    birthweight 6.8lbs
    3 weeks: 3.54kg
    Last edited by fuzybunnyslippers; February 26th, 2008 at 08:03 PM.

At 4 weeks old my son did not have a bm for 2 days. After that he changed to 1-2 bm every 24 hrs. My Dr. told me not to worry as long as I was getting wet diapers, and call her if he went 3 days w/o one.