Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slow-flow or fast-flow bottle nipples while at daycare?

Question Slow-flow or fast-flow bottle nipples while at daycare?

Hello everyone! First I want to say that I LOVE LLL forums! This is my site to surf (and post) while I'm pumping

Second, my apologies if this post doesn't belong in this forum... maybe it should be in the "caregiver issues" forum, but I'm not sure

Anyway, here is PART 1 of my question... DD is exclusively breastfed when we're together, but when she's at daycare she gets 3-4 bottles of EBM... I have been using the Playtex bottles with the disposable liners, the "natra-latch" kind, slow-flow. BUT, DD is now about 5 months old, and the daycare providers are telling me that "maybe she's ready for stage 2 nipples, for a faster flow because sometimes she gets frustrated..." I worry that if I switch her to the fast-flow nipples that she will start preferring the faster flow from the bottles and not want to BF anymore???

And here is PART 2 of my question... At nearly 5 months, she is still taking just 4 ounces in her bottles. Sometimes she sucks it down in a hurry, and other times she'll only take an ounce or two and will refuse the rest. Is 4 ounces enough for a nearly 5 month old, she's being fed every 2.5-3 hours (she's having plenty of wet/dirty diapers...) Also, we are co-sleeping part-time and she nurses on and off all night long, about every 2 hours or so...

Does anyone have any experience on this you can share with me?? Any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Default Re: Slow-flow or fast-flow bottle nipples while at daycare?

Slow slow slow! Follow your instincts and encourage her caregivers to watch her cues as well. I highly recommend going over these guidelines with them: http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...le_feeding.pdf

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Babies have a natural need to suck. It provides comfort, it is soothing and relaxing. Once you switch to a faster flow, if your baby still has a need to suck, she may start taking larger and larger amounts of milk until you may feel like you are not making enough. This isn't all, there is also a chance baby will begin to prefer having the bottle flow down her throat with little work, she could potentially refuse the breast. It does happen, thus the danger of a faster flow nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Babies have a natural need to suck. It provides comfort, it is soothing and relaxing. Once you switch to a faster flow, if your baby still has a need to suck, she may start taking larger and larger amounts of milk until you may feel like you are not making enough. This isn't all, there is also a chance baby will begin to prefer having the bottle flow down her throat with little work, she could potentially refuse the breast. It does happen, thus the danger of a faster flow nipple.
    DD and I ran into this problem around 5 months, and a natural shape/slow flow nipple helped tremendously.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Part 1- SLOW

Part 2- This helped me a lot as a guideline in how much they need to eat:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html