Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can you guys help?

Red face Can you guys help?

Hi I am new here and I was wondering if I could maybe get some help. My son is 13 weeks old and is formula fed. It mad me sad to stop breast feeding. Let me give you some backround. I had to have an emergency C section at 38 weeks because he was in destress. I had GD while pregnant. I told the nurses that I did not want him to have a bottle. I tried to feed him and he would not latch at all. His blood sugar got down to 40 and they said he needed something so they gave him a bottle. I struggled for 2 weeks trying to get him to latch, but he nover would. I still wanted him to get breat milk so I was pumping, but only producing 2 oz a day so i had to supliment with formula. I was even taking medicine to try to increase my milk supply.

So now my milk is dryed up, but I am more upset than I thought I would be. Is it possible to try to go back to beast feeding or is it pointless to try to get my milk supply back and have him try to latch on.

How would I get my milk supply back if it is possible?

Sorry it was so long and thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: Can you guys help?

I don't have help but i know that tehre are a bunch of moms on here that will be able to help you! Have you called your local LLL or even a LC?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Yes, it can be done!! There is a section on here about relactation, and there will be lots of mamas who've been there and done it.

Congratulations on your little one!!

Thanks guys.

Here are some great links to check out: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

You should definitely contact your local LLL leader or an LC to discuss this. You will probably need their help in determining what the issue is with the latch. You can do this!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

there is still hope!!!! i exclusively pumped for the first 2 mo we had lots of latch problems in beginning...but by chance one day at around 2.5 months i tried to see if she would latch on...just for curiosity..and she DID!!! and so now i do both pump and breast feed 6.5 mo going strong!!!!!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Hi mama! Welcome to the forum!
    I suggest you look into supplementing this way while you build up your milk supply: http://www.lact-aid.com/.
    You will need to rent a hospital grade pump as regular pumps are not equipt to build a milk supply from scratch -only maintain an already established one.
    You will need to start removing milk often and regularly, every two hours. You can do it!

Sorry I don't know how to relactate but I have heard and read of countless women who do it successfully. I just can't help but think that we are made to do this and so our bodies don't give up on it even though there are other reasons one might have to.

Best of luck to you . . . you are in for such a treat when it works! I'll pray for you that it will! And for trying!

Pick up Dr. Jack Newmans Guide to Breastfeeding, if you can...he's got great advice in there!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Moving this thread to relactation for more replies.