Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Speedy Gonzales 5-8 mins..

Question Speedy Gonzales 5-8 mins..

My 2 month old started eating really fast a couple of weeks ago. 5-8 minutes on each breast.When I try to keep him longer on each side he starts crying! Does this sound normal to you? Is it too fast??
    Thanx!!!

Smile Re: Speedy Gonzales 5-8 mins..

Hi Eve

sounds normal to me my girl is 3 months old and feeds on average 5 minutes aside..long as your son is gaining weight and having plenty of wet nappies(diapers) then it is all good.
    Last edited by Megan's Mum; February 25th, 2008 at 05:42 AM.

Default Re: Speedy Gonzales 5-8 mins..

mine did that much later (with 4 1/2 month) but i think they just get more efficient.
    I posted a question here too a couple of days ago, because i had the same question - i dont want to "force" him on the breast (he cries too when i try). maybe look for the thread I got great replies (here is the link, not sure if this works http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=47357)
    mother to Noah 9/17/2007
    wife to Victor 6/20/2006

Love to &
    because it is worth it

my son only ever feeds about 10 mins from 1 side only, every 3 hours or so, and was not interested after...i worried a lot at first , but by 6 days old he had put on 7 oz, and he now puts on between 10-12 oz a week, and by 4 weeks 5 days old he had put on 3lbs 1 oz.....the only difference is when he has a growth spurt then he feeds about 5 mins every hour or so for some of the day, then has the odd long 30 mins feed, but again from 1 side only generally....when he comes off 1st side himself, ill burp him and offer second side, generally he refuses it or feeds for like 1 min then lose interest....

but he very much has plenty of dirty nappies during the day...

i think it is a mix of him being a good feeder, as in he latches on and sucks steadily away for 10 mins...and i have an overactive letdown, which doesnt normally give him problems..he feeds thro it, but last week he was fussing a lot, but he was very stuffy last week also which didny help either, he been much more settled this week and feeding well again.
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Thanks to all for your posts!

Just wanted to say that ever since Mr. Drew was 2 months or so, he's been taking about 5 minutes per breast. It's actually pretty convenient when I have a 2yo running around stuffing tp in the toilet!