Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I Give Up! LOL

Default I Give Up! LOL

Background: About a week and a half ago, I had a minor panic attack when my then almost eight week old son suddenly reduced his number of nursing sessions quite drastically. For about three days, he didn't nurse more than seven times in a 24 hour period, as opposed to his usual ten to twelve. After those few days, my chronic oversupply issues finally seemed to be, well, stabilized anyway. After weeks of block feeding, I actually needed to offer both breasts during a feed a few times! Life was getting good. Then Chance started sleeping longer at night, five to six hours instead of four to five, and that small change has me back at square one. Block feeding, working against gravity, and all that jazz.

So I've given up fighting against the oversupply. Tomorrow I am calling the human milk bank in Denver (closest one to me) and finding out about their donation procedures! I figure that if I'm going to be "blessed" with oversupply AND the ability to pump ridiculous amounts in short amounts of time (with a manual single horn pump no less) I should stop fighting the blessing and let it do some good for someone else's baby. I won't be their top donner as my plan is to pump just once or twice a night but I'll be able to help a little.

~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.

Default Re: I Give Up! LOL

Its definitely better than an under-supply! If I were you, I wouldn't start giving away milk just yet since your lo is only a couple months old. I'd get a nice stash in your freezer. I've been lucky to have been able to pump a good amount most of the time, but if you're going back to work, you'll be surprised how fast your stash goes down. There's bags with holes in them, throwing out half a bag he didn't eat, etc. Having plenty of milk is a great thing, don't take it for granted!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyChristopher View Post
    Its definitely better than an under-supply! If I were you, I wouldn't start giving away milk just yet since your lo is only a couple months old. I'd get a nice stash in your freezer. I've been lucky to have been able to pump a good amount most of the time, but if you're going back to work, you'll be surprised how fast your stash goes down. There's bags with holes in them, throwing out half a bag he didn't eat, etc. Having plenty of milk is a great thing, don't take it for granted!
    Fortunately, I don't have to go back to work. :-) I'm planning to start a home business this summer but I'll be home with Chance all the time still. I'm very lucky. And I do have to build up a stash for the trips we're taking in the next few months first.

I did that. Some women concede that the struggle of block feeding is not working as well as they wished.
    If you start pumping however, I recommend placing the baby on after you pump a few ounces off and not the other way around. Still try and avoid fully draining the breast. There are women here who have produced something like 100 ounces a day extra.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I did that. Some women concede that the struggle of block feeding is not working as well as they wished.
    If you start pumping however, I recommend placing the baby on after you pump a few ounces off and not the other way around. Still try and avoid fully draining the breast. There are women here who have produced something like 100 ounces a day extra.
    So far I'm pumping 2 to 5 ounces a day. For the time being, I'm building a freezer stash for upcoming traveling but once I get a good stash built up, I'll start donating. My boobs and Chance are so much happier this week!

~~ Meri