Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clarification on size please

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Clarification on size please

Quote Originally Posted by Laursie View Post
    When do you move on from fruits and veggies to rice or meats or other things?

I know baby-led is kinda do your own thing...so that's what I'm doing...but I feel like I just want a little reassurance that I'm doing it in a practical way.
    The website www.wholesomebabyfood.com has been very helpful to me in knowing at what ages I can give ds which foods.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post

Also I don't think that BLS is a "do your own thing" method. The research was done and actually sets out some very specific guidelines around "Do's and "Don'ts". I believe that what the PP was referring to was LLL philosophy. Of "take what works for you and leave the rest". If you look up the Research there was a very easy to follow list of things to do and not to do if using the BLS way.
    When I looked at the BLS website that was referred to my by this forum, it wasn't very specific in its guidelines in regards to size, consistency, and texture of foods offered baby. It seemed vague to me-I actually had many questions still unanswered after researching. So I took what information I liked and left the rest, which is what moms do in feeding and parenting in general.

Something that I've found challenging in the BLS approach is the practicality in offering from my plate but doing the four-day wait rule simultaneously. I don't typically eat the same foods four days in a row or even have part of my meal the same for that time period. So, once ds has had the food I have on my plate, passed it without reaction, and I happen to be eating it, I'll offer. That's what it means for us by taking what works for us and leaving the rest. Different strokes for different folks, ya know?
    Last edited by mommamags; February 25th, 2008 at 11:08 AM.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    The website www.wholesomebabyfood.com has been very helpful to me in knowing at what ages I can give ds which foods.

Something that I've found challenging in the BLS approach is the practicality in offering from my plate but doing the four-day wait rule simultaneously. I don't typically eat the same foods four days in a row or even have part of my meal the same for that time period. So, once ds has had the food I have on my plate, passed it without reaction, and I happen to be eating it, I'll offer. That's what it means for us by taking what works for us and leaving the rest. Different strokes for different folks, ya know?
    I think the guideline of "Chip" (which means Fry) size and shaped pieces is pretty specific. And the there were no rules around texture. The only guideline around that we used were the age specific ones. The 4day applies only when you are 1st giving food. By month two I had a whole arsenal of food that were tried and true and could be offered together. So at that point my child could have 3-5 things on his plate at once and only have ONE thing actually be new. All of month one and month two when it was really only about getting comfortable with food in his mouth, gripping it, tasting it and pushing back out, one thing at a time to focus on was PLENTY. But by the time he was 8months old we could do a fair amount of mixing. By month 10 we were simply separating out what we were eating and only withholding things that were non age appropriate. So if we were having tacos, we'd feed him beans, ground turkey, cheese, lettuce and tortilla all separated out but didn't give him tomatoes or sour cream. If we were were eating beef or pork we substituted in beans so he got the protein.
    As soon as I could start mixing I did because one of the guideline says to offer many choices. And so as to have a child who was always willing to explore and try things I never like to have less than 3-4 things on his plate so that he was free to reject things and still have "eaten." This method has proved successful long term. I work very hard to always have 3-5 choices on his plate all the time and never get into Food "ruts" where I am falling back on the same favorites several times a week. I don't want him to get bored or sick of foods he enjoys. At two while it's very common to have children in this age group only wanting crackers and Dairy, my son consistently craves whole grains, whole fruits and green veggies. The only meal that ever gets rejected is dinner. Me and my DH are big Meat eaters and it seems my son isn't as partial to meat as we are. We are working to eat less meat as a family.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post

Something that I've found challenging in the BLS approach is the practicality in offering from my plate but doing the four-day wait rule simultaneously. I don't typically eat the same foods four days in a row or even have part of my meal the same for that time period. So, once ds has had the food I have on my plate, passed it without reaction, and I happen to be eating it, I'll offer.
    I'm having a hard time with that too. I offer a food, then maybe a day or two goes by when I don't offer b/c she was grumpy, or sleeping, or just not interested. Then I'll offer it again, and another few days goes by...its like really she only tries one food per week. But I'd like to offer multiple foods at once...she's mostly only put fruit in her mouth. I don't want to give her peaches, plums, and watermelon for a meal! Plus she is only trying about a bite or two so I feel like its a waste to get a lot out for her.

But by the time he was 8months old we could do a fair amount of mixing. By month 10 we were simply separating out what we were eating and only withholding things that were non age appropriate. So if we were having tacos, we'd feed him beans, ground turkey, cheese, lettuce and tortilla all separated out but didn't give him tomatoes or sour cream. If we were were eating beef or pork we substituted in beans so he got the protein.
    Yes, that is ideally what I'd like to do. She is gluten intolerant, and can't have citrus or dairy b/c of her reflux so thats what my diet is. So I eat a lot of the same foods over and over. I should let her try those things so she can participate in meals with me instead of seperate foods. Do you think these things are ok to let her try?

rice
    quinoa pasta
    100% natural turkey burgers
    grilled chicken
    rice bread

Those things are about 75% of my diet nowadays.

I know one day I'll look back on this and forget how confusing it was, just like learning to breastfeed those early months!
    Married to my best friend since 2001 , Proud mom of my baby girl Ella 6/19/07

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world." John 16:21

... There are only a few of us still here to tell the tale.
    - I'm one of them

Quote Originally Posted by Laursie View Post
    rice
    quinoa pasta
    100% natural turkey burgers
    grilled chicken
    rice bread

Those things are about 75% of my diet nowadays.

I know one day I'll look back on this and forget how confusing it was, just like learning to breastfeed those early months!
    , you will. Just take a relaxed approach and know the solids are just a fun experiemental supplement to the awesome BM shes getting

That list of foods sounds great

Is there just turkey in those burgers? She's okay with eggs? Are there eggs in that bread?

ETA

We intro'd things based on the chart Lyn linked to (found on page 5 here)
    Last edited by Number3; February 25th, 2008 at 01:22 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

If you've only been at this about a month I'd say it's perfectly FINE to only be having one thing a day or one thing a meal time. Initially I was only feeding DJ ONE thing once a day. And it was almost alway fruit in the beginning. He ate A lot of Watermelon. He didn't really like banana very much until he was about a year and a half old. So the rule about re trying stuff is a good one.

And then it was one thing at lunch time and another thing at dinner. So he got to be included in the ritual of dinner but there was no real pressure on me to pre prepare.

Also I have to say that I always used a teacup saucer as his place and place things on that. So there was never a huge waste because it was always just 2-4 slices of something being put out. To this day 3-4 apples will last over a week.

I also want to say that even at this point, he's two more than half of what he eats in a day IS fruit. It's certainly fine for anyone under a year.
    For breakfast today he had Nectarine, Pear and Cornflakes no milk.
    For a snack he will have trail mix that is pistaschios, pine seeds and dried cranberries.
    For lunch Beans, rice, Blueberries and applesauce.
    For snack ack mack crackers and veggies sticks.
    For dinner some meat he wont eat and two veggies he'll nibble on.
    If you look that over it's more than half fruit.

We usually do two for breakfast and two for lunch. Fruit is fine when they are learning even if it's all they want.
    As they get older, your child will be better off only eating fruit than only eating any number of other things. They get vitamins, minerals, juice and fiber from fruit. It's pretty good for them.
    I actually would wait on the meat. We didn't introduce poultry until between month 9&10.

Way too lazy for formula

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

I think the guideline of "Chip" (which means Fry) size and shaped pieces is pretty specific. And the there were no rules around texture. The only guideline around that we used were the age specific ones.
    Again, I still have questions that aren't addressed about this on the website.
    The 4day applies only when you are 1st giving food.
    It takes others longer to get to that point when there's a large enough variety that baby can eat what the family eats, hence, why I'll give him the foods he's already done well on.

Like I said, it was too vague for me. As a new mom, I like things to be spelled out for me in very specific terms. Some of BLS philosophy makes perfect sense. But since it's just that one website that is the source of information, I'll follow my son's and my needs and feel secure in my choice. I just think that we're all following baby's lead in when to offer what foods and BLS isn't one size fits all.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post

Is there just turkey in those burgers? She's okay with eggs? Are there eggs in that bread?

ETA

We intro'd things based on the chart Lyn linked to (found on page 5 here)
    No eggs in the rice bread. Yes, its just lean ground turkey. And thanks!

I read the list of foods for the allergy baby and the list of things to look for and she does a lot of those anyway!!! She has tummy issues, and she coughs all the time (she does it to fart, it works!), and she sneezes, has gas, etc...but I suppose I would notice something out of the ordinary.

Well, thank you ladies!!!!
    Married to my best friend since 2001 , Proud mom of my baby girl Ella 6/19/07

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world." John 16:21