Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarification on size please

Default Clarification on size please

I hope I'm not asking something that's been answered a million times already, but...I'm doing baby-led solids with DD and she is 8 months old. She has only eaten a few things (really a few bites) and mostly plays with the food. But I'm confused as to the size of pieces she should get. She actually likes to take bites off of a whole piece of fruit like peaches, plums, and banana, but if I cut up anything she just plays with it and smushes it in her hands without trying to eat it. Maybe b/c I am not giving the right size? Should I be giving big wedges of food and letting her bite off what she wants? Or should I cut up into tiny cubes? When she bites off of a piece of fruit, if she gets a piece that is too big she spits it out. Please, some guidance from the pros! What would be wonderful is if anyone has pictures of the size foods they give, b/c I just can't seem to picture the description in all of the baby-led advice (chip shaped and all that).
    Married to my best friend since 2001 , Proud mom of my baby girl Ella 6/19/07

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world." John 16:21

Default Re: Clarification on size please

When we were starting BLS we usually gave DS food that were cut french-fry shaped (chip = British for fries) that he could easily pick up and bite pieces off of or things roughly the size of DS fist.

It takes a little time for LO to figure out what is a good amount of food to put in their mouth. Spitting or gagging out foods that are too big is a good thing.

My DS is 19 mo and we still sometimes need to remind him to take small bites of foods and not cram then entire piece in his mouth.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I try to make my pieces the size of a teething bisquit/cookie.

I must be doing them too small then. I usually do pea size.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by dinkey98 View Post
    I usually do pea size.
    If that's what you're comfortable doing, then do that. All of this is take what you want to use, leave what you don't.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

OK...I guess what I'm wondering is what is more hazardous as far as choking? Tiny pea size pieces or large pieces that they bite off a hunk? I know she'll gag and stuff, ok with that, just don't want to be giving her things that could really lodge in there. If I let her bite off her own food then she should push out what is too big, right?

Few more questions since I have your attention

Are whole peas ok?
    When do you move on from fruits and veggies to rice or meats or other things?
    Once I've given a new food and she didn't react for a few days then I can assume the food is ok, and can then offer that food with other foods that are ok, right?

I know baby-led is kinda do your own thing...so that's what I'm doing...but I feel like I just want a little reassurance that I'm doing it in a practical way.

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world." John 16:21

Quote Originally Posted by Laursie View Post
    OK...I guess what I'm wondering is what is more hazardous as far as choking? Tiny pea size pieces or large pieces that they bite off a hunk? I know she'll gag and stuff, ok with that, just don't want to be giving her things that could really lodge in there. If I let her bite off her own food then she should push out what is too big, right?

I know baby-led is kinda do your own thing...so that's what I'm doing...but I feel like I just want a little reassurance that I'm doing it in a practical way.
    French Fry size pieces deal with the issue of choking by being too small to actually block the airway. This size is also ideal because it actually gives the child something they can easily grip. and get to their own mouth and still have something that gets into their mouth even with their fist around it.

Also I don't think that BLS is a "do your own thing" method. The research was done and actually sets out some very specific guidelines around "Do's and "Don'ts". I believe that what the PP was referring to was LLL philosophy. Of "take what works for you and leave the rest". If you look up the Research there was a very easy to follow list of things to do and not to do if using the BLS way.
    Playing with the food is very much a part of Baby led. If the baby isn't actually bringing food to her own mouth, that just means she isn't ready to eat any yet! Be patient. Just keep offering. She will eventually. HTH.

Way too lazy for formula

Baby led weaning guidelines (note - the British term "weaning" = the American term "starting solids")

We did peas and other small foods (blueberries, beans, etc) after DS had a good pincer grip and was getting good at self feeding. You can "smoosh" them a little with your finger to break the skin. Don't be alarmed if they show up in baby's poop mostly whole.

Because we wanted to take a cautious approach to solids we mostly followed the sequence for adding foods for the allergic infant.

Yes - once LO is OK with a food you can start to offer it in combination with other foods.

We took the approach of starting DS with single foods and made it a priority to introduce new foods that would allow us to start combining foods and doing actual cooking for the whole family.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    Yes - once LO is OK with a food you can start to offer it in combination with other foods.

We took the approach of starting DS with single foods and made it a priority to introduce new foods that would allow us to start combining foods and doing actual cooking for the whole family.
    What a great idea! I think that is wonderful b/c she definitely likes eating off my plate vs. putting the food on her high chair right now.

DJ's mom...thanks for all the info! I was in a hurry typing last night...I know baby-led has specific guidelines that I've read many times, I meant to say that each baby is different and going to eat at their own pace so there really isn't a right and wrong amount / way of feeding each child (hence the do your own thing comment). But I do get that playing with the food is half of the experience! I agree that she might not be ready to eat a lot of the foods right now, seems to depend on her mood and playfulness, so I offer something every few days right now.

DJ's mom again - - I've noticed that you really get baby-led solids and that you are very helpful to us confused mamas...can you start a sticky of info, hints, common questions and concerns about it under 'starting solids'? I'm sure we ask the same questions...but sometimes I'm too lazy to search!!!

Thanks everyone...I'm feeling a little better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Laursie View Post
    What a great idea! I think that is wonderful b/c she definitely likes eating off my plate vs. putting the food on her high chair right now.

DJ's mom again - - I've noticed that you really get baby-led solids and that you are very helpful to us confused mamas...can you start a sticky of info, hints, common questions and concerns about it under 'starting solids'? I'm sure we ask the same questions...but sometimes I'm too lazy to search!!!

Thanks everyone...I'm feeling a little better now.
    Thank you. Actually lsksam asked about this before but we can't have one because BLS isn't actually endorsed by LLL. It's just a method that a great board friend at the time Paint the Moon brought to all of our attention when my son was at this age and at the time he was small there was a large number of us who followed it and had great success with it. There are only a few of us still here to tell the tale.
    I personally never gave my son any purees and never boiled or peeled anything. I took the message not to mix this method of feeding with spoon feeding very seriously. And while I was concerned about about choking as I know every mother is long before he even ate any solids, I believed the research and again felt that breastfeeding was the perfect compliment to this method of feeding in that it had already taught me to TRUST MY BABY and Mother Nature. You have to take a blind leap of faith to know that your baby will get enough to eat while exclusively breastfeeding. My instincts told me that long before Gerber made Jarred baby foods people's infants were surviving learning how to eat without choking. This method explained to me why. And I am glad to be able to say it really works. And really in the grand scheme of things saved me as a mother a ton of work and worry. Good Luck to you and Happy Feeding!

Way too lazy for formula