Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Organic milk for $20!

Default Organic milk for $20!

I found organic milk in my town - for $20/liter! WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Would you ladies buy it? I haven't given L cow's milk and I really don't want to because we don't have regular access to affordable organic milk. He does get some rice milk now mixed in with other things.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: Organic milk for $20!

How readily are almonds available there? You could make it yourself or buy it in the store if available.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

Well .... my understanding is that toddlers need to be getting lots of fat & calcium in their diet. The recommendation to drink whole milk is because it's a convenient and easy way to get fat & calcium into LO. BUT toddlers don't NEED to drink cow milk. So as long as he's getting needed nutrition from other sources (including breastmilk if you're continuing to breastfeed) then if you'd like you can skip drinking cow milk.

I didn't really answer your question, huh?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Nope!

I don't think I would pay $20 for it, but I would look into brands that may not be organic, but at least do not have RSBT and other disturbing things in it. I would also consider placing a call to the dairy or coop that's producing the $20 milk and confirm that they know it's being sold for that much, and ask them why it is currently so expensive. You might also look into the possibility of purchasing directly from a small dairy. I don't know if that's an option where you're at -- just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaUAE View Post
    I found organic milk in my town - for $20/liter!

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaUAE View Post
    Would you ladies buy it? I haven't given L cow's milk and I really don't want to because we don't have regular access to affordable organic milk. He does get some rice milk now mixed in with other things.
    I wouldn't buy the milk at that price. Not at all.

What are the farms like there? Are they big factory farms or small mom and pop operations? The issue comes with big business, not really with farming itself. So, if you have access to a local dairy, that product is going to be just as good (if not better) as anything with the organic stamp on it.

That being said, milk isn't absolutely necessary. See here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/w...html#othermilk

As another Poster mentioned, can you find milk w/o hormones etc?

(FWIW I'd never pay that much )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

If you are still BF 3-4 times a day, he doesn't need any other milk as long as he is having other good sources of calcium and fat.
    As for the original question, it would depend on my financial situation. If it is relatively well, I would buy it since I like spending for good food rather than other stuff.

Could you/did you try coconut milk?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I would just buy hormone free milk.. and not at that price

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!