Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: all he wants to do is bite!

Unhappy all he wants to do is bite!

Since yesterday my DS have been biting and crying nonstop, today worse than yesterday. I don't think is teething related, although he's cutting one right now, but I wonder since I got my period for the first time yesterday if that would have something to do. You know how they say that your period can diminish your milk supply while you have it, can that make him want to bite only, or if the milk's taste changes can that cause the same effect? He has been cranky all day, and had one good nursing session, the rest is been around ten seconds and then bite, sometimes he goes straight to biting. One of my breast, the one he had only bite it's starting to get a bit engorged. Any suggestions?

TIA

Default Re: all he wants to do is bite!

Ugh -- I hate biting! And with my son, teething definitely brought on a lot of biting. My advice is to treat his teething pain, give him something cold to chew on before nursing, and at the first glimmer of a hint that he might bite, take him off the breast and redirect to a teething ring. He's 13 months old, right? So he's definitely old enough to start learning not to bite momma.

For the breast that is getting engorged, I would pump (or maybe manually express in the shower) enough to feel comfortable. You need to move some milk to avoid clogged ducts and mastitis.

Hope that tooth erupts soon and you get your happy nursling back!

--Rebecca

Default Re: all he wants to do is bite!

Thanks Rebecca!

He has cut down with the biting. I guess it was a combination of teething and my period b/c he stopped biting once AF tapper off but did enjoy the teething rings and frozen popsicles, like it soothed him.