Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: want to wean at a year..no idea how to...

Default want to wean at a year..no idea how to...

Any advice for how to wean a 12 month old? (he is 9 months now). I have been working and pumping since he was 5months, so he is used to drinking out of a bottle. Just some advice or success stories needed. thanks!

some things i have been asking myself...
    - should i start weaning now at 9 months if i want him weaned by 12months?
    - which feedings should i drop first? (probably one of the two during my work day???)
    can't think of anything else....
    Last edited by allyallyson; January 28th, 2006 at 08:41 AM.

Default Re: want to wean at a year..no idea how to...

Three months is a long way off. Would you consider waiting until closer to the eleven month mark to begin?

I'm not trying to be nosey, but I did want to let you know that if you and your baby desire to nurse beyond the twelve month mark there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! And the benefits of breastfeeding (for both of you!) are continuing (and compounding) with every day you nurse.

There is nothing wrong with weaning at twelve months, and there is nothing wrong with continuing to breastfeed, either.

Here's some info on weaning:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/weanhowto.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/index.html

HTH!

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I would think you might want to wait until closer to a year and then start the slow process of weaning... just gradually substituting EBM with regular cows milk which you can do at a year old... that way, your baby gets your EBM and nursing for a full year, which is truly the best for him. The good news is that it should be a little easier for you b/c he is already taking bottles. You can just start replacing your breast milk with cows milk after one year of age. That might be a good direction to go.

Good luck to you!

Jacqui

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Also, you might want to get your hands on the book "A Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning" as it's full of helpful, age-appropriate suggestions on how to technically wean.

Jacqui