Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going to sleep without nursing/Refusing to drink milk

Default Going to sleep without nursing/Refusing to drink milk

My almost one year old daughter is down to 3 feedings a day, first thing in the morning, before nap, and at bedtime. She gradually eliminated other feedings on her own. I am concerned as to how I will get her to nap or go to bed without having her "nummies" which work like a sleep potion for her. She will only nap if I lay down with her in my bed and when I lay down with her, she wants to nurse. At nighttime, she is not content to rock or be cuddled without being first nursed. She nurses to sleep, or almost sleep and then is rocked to sleep, otherwise I cannot get her to sleep in her crib.
    Also, we've tried milk for about a month in a cup (she never took a bottle) and she wants nothing to do with it. I'm afraid that if I start to eliminate her nursings that she'll starve. She eats a decent amount of table food, but certainly not enough with the absence of milk. Did anyone else have this experience? What did you do?

Default Re: Going to sleep without nursing/Refusing to drink milk

I can't give many words of encouragement, but my 10 month old is still very dependent on nursing. She needs it to fall asleep, even the countless times she wakes during the night. I would have liked to wean by 12-18 months, but it does not seem like she will every stop nursing. Let me know if you try anything with your baby that works................... Thanks!

JMJMOM I have the same situation are yours. My 9 month old son still needs the "boobie" when he goes to sleep.

She'll fall asleep for a nap with my husband without nursing, he just walks around with her on his shoulder, trouble is he is only off maybe 1 day a week so he can't take over for me. He gets home late at night from work, so he can't help much with bedtime. One night I wasn't home, he got her to sleep by walking/rocking no trouble, and she didn't wake up any earlier at night to nurse, but I had nursed her before I left, so she didn't really miss a feeding. Once in a while my mom babysits and she'll go to bed without nursing for her, but she won't for me, and it's me that's with her most of the time. If I hear of anything that works or find anythign that works, I"ll let you know. G night weaned herself at around 10 months, other than a few colds/setbacks. She just quit waking, or when she woke, she'd be content to be rocked back to sleep. They change so fast, in a couple months you'll have a completely different baby.

Don't expect that to change for a long time. Usually the night nursing is the last to go, even up to natural child-led weaning ages like 3, 4, or later.

If you haven't ever coslept, I find that an easy way to help the boy sleep.

Usually he wants boobie most of the night but lately he has occasionally started to pull off and then lay back on my arm, relax and fall asleep.
    My son is now 18 months old.

The WHO and many other countries' health departments recommend nursing a child for at least 2 years to protect their health. But traditionally babies wean on their own, and it sounds like your daughter elimnating her own feedings is on the right track.

There's a great book through LLL called How Weaning Happens. Worth a read.

We experienced both of those things with dd#1.

Some feedings were easier to eliminate than others, but what worked the best for us was having someone else help with the sleep routines. For us, my MIL started babysitting during the day and rocking her to sleep, so she got used to settling herself in another way. DH also took a few nights where I would nurse her first and then he would sing to her before she fell asleep to settle her down. I don't think I ever refused to nurse her; we just tried to replace the comfort of nursing with other things. A cuddle with a book worked well, too.

We had a really difficult time getting her to drink milk from a cup too. For us it was a taste issue - breastmilk is way sweeter! What ended up working for us was giving her cheerios with milk in the morning to get her used to the milk taste - and then increasing the milk-to-cheerio ratio. At the same time we gave her lots of water from a cup to make sure she didn't dehydrate. At some point she was just happy to drink milk by itself.

I should mention that we didn't have any success with getting her to drink cow's milk until she had been weaned for a good month. I had to give her lots of cheese and yogurt (and vitamin D supplements) instead.

HTH!
    Robyn