Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

I have found much support here, and I thank everyone!

I am sadly having to return to work on Monday. For the past month and a half I have been trying to get my LO back to nursing (not working so well), and trying to get my supply up enough so that I can get him off of formula.

At this point, my LO doesn't want anything to do with nursng. (he is 3mos) I will get him in position, and he turns away and starts to cry. There isn't really a time where he isn't interested in eating, and I have tried baths, etc to get him back into the swing of things. We have a full house (lots of pets), and my husband travels so I am not able to put as much energy into things as I would like. I am still pumping (very little- 2 ozs per day, trying to do as much as I can-hospital grade pump), but am not sure as to how my working will affect things.
    My LO has suddenly started to fuss and pull away from the Breastflow bottles- just like he did when he was nursing...I think he's lazy LOL. He also cries terribly when he is finished and the bottle goes away- so strange!

Anyway, I want to get him back to nursing- but the minute I try to get him into any hold, he fusses and pulls away. I'm not pumping very much, and I don't know that I can pump every 2 hrs at work. I am taking all of the supplements, although they aren't having much of an effect that I can see. I am eating oatmeal- and I suspect that my overall diet has something to do with things- I am not very good about eating in general, and I lost my appetite after my LO was born. I try to drink more fluids, but I am not always the best at this either!

I am at the point where I am considering giving in and letting him stay with formula, although I really do not want to. But I don't know how to get him back to wanting to nurse...he did so well in the beginning (we stopped after he refused and we introduced formula)...the minute he sees a boob, he turns his head.

Another thing, in reading a post someone mentioned eczema and allergies relating to BF? I still give my LO at least a few ounces every other day- depending on how much I can pump. He was getting 6ozs per day, and I noticed eczema on his cheeks and forehead...it has gone away recently, and I'm thinking that maybe this is due to not having BM as much?

Any thoughts, ideas, words of wisdom are welcome! Thanks for listening!

Default Re: What to do?

first of all not everyone can nurse and not all lo want to bf. none of my nieces wanted to bf. my son was just greedy and he had to have formula and breast at every feeding. both my lo have eczema it is not necessarily anything they eat or drink but could be bathing in hard water that can make it worst. don't give up. try giving him a bottle and when its done give him boob. I am the same way. I dont get interested in food. I always think of my dd and i eat and drink for her sake. She is my motivation. even if its crackers and cheese i do it. Try drinking a glass of water every two hours or 1/2 cup. I started like that and now i can drink a gallon in one day. i think you are doing a great job. I had a lll leader tell me that no matter what happens the most important thing is that your baby eats and strives - even if it is on formula. so i tell you the same. do you get frustrated when your lo does not want to bf? lo's know when we are upset and tend to also feel how we feel. so try to relax and maybe he will take it. let me know. take care and i am here if you need me.
    Last edited by dolphinelover; February 23rd, 2008 at 09:49 PM.

Thank you for the kind words...
    I think that part of my problem is that I am about to send him to daycare, and I am so sad!

I think I remain pretty calm when it comes to anything to do with him- so I don't think that he is getting anything from me as far as frustration goes...I think that he is just into his bottle, and doesn't want to bother with the breat anymore. You should see when we take the bottle away after he is done eating- he throws such a tantrum! We have to pop a pacifier in his mouth (and that doesn't work sometimes)...I have never heard of a LO doing that before. But, when he was nursing, he would stay on forever, until he fell asleep.

I just worry about pumping at work to continue trying to boost my supply...nothing has worked very well so far, and it just keeps getting lower and lower.

Like you said, it may not be for him...but I will exhaust every option to make sure

Thanks again!!!

Hey don't be sad. Everything has a way of working itself out. i felt like that too when my ds would not get satisfied with me bf either. i alot. I know how you feel. Hey maybe he cries after the bottle is done because it is time to add alittle more. Maybe he would do well with another ounce or so. I used to go with my gut when my ds would do that. I would add an ounce or so and he would not get so uptight. They grown fast and at times with the growth spurts we need to be prepared. My ds eats me out of house and land . take it easy and keep trying. try adding and ounce and then giving him the boob. let me know how it works. i am not an expert but i just tell you what worked for me with him. its another story with my dd. that is a story for another day. i will check back with you to see how you are. MAKE SURE TO STAY POSITIVE.

Hi!
    Having to leave your baby before you are ready sounds very stressful!
    You said you weren't able to pump much. Did you mean the quantity you got was small, or that you didn't pump often? Can we have more history about what led to the supplementing? What position have you tried nursing in, all of them fail? Any luck with latching a sleeping baby?
    Two ounces is still enough to share your immune system with your baby. It is nothing to scoff at! Lets see what we can do to increase your supply ok!?

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinelover View Post
    ... not all lo want to bf.
    I'm going to gently disagree with this.

As part of the breast feeding mammal category all babies are born with the desire to breast feed. There are certain medical conditions that can make it difficult, for some pre term babies it takes quite a bit of their energy. But I think to state that some babies don't want to is incorrect. The older babies that seem to refuse are often given a bottle, which can lead to nipple confusion, flow preferrance. The rejection of the breast is not a sign that they don't want to breast feed, merely a symptom of some level of confusion about where the milk is coming from. It is so easy for a mother to take this rejection and think is a general rejection of them as a mother. This is untrue. Were mothers offered an equal amount of support in breastfeeding there would be less misunderstanding of normal baby behavior.

I agree with carpentergirl. I also think they can refuse the breast due to unpleasant associations (like stress, reflux, etc). If you are serious about wanting to breastfeed again, it is going to take a lot of time and energy. A half-hearted attempt may only make you feel worse about the situation.

Some resources:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    http://llli.org/NB/NBrelactation.html
    http://llli.org/FAQ/back.html
    http://llli.org/FAQ/relactation.html
    http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/bla.html
    http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/i...ite-locked.pdf

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Thanks ladies!

History: Around 7 weeks there was a day where he woke up, and when I went to let him eat he refused- turned his head and cried. I figured that maybe he wasn't hungry (although he should have been), so I waited and then kept trying about every 20 minutes or so. After almost 4 hours of this- and he was crying almost the entire time- I broke down and gave hima bottle with 4ozs of formula. He drank it heartily, sighed, burped, and then went to sleep.
    We had been experimenting with the bottle b/c my husband wanted to help with feeding. He is also a big pacifier baby, so I think with all of ti he became a little confused- and I think with the bottle he got more and got it faster...so he became lazy. This was evidenced further recently- I put him on the Breastflow bottles, and he did fine for the first 2 weeks- then he started to flail and thrash just like he had begun to do when he was nursing.

Yesterday he was so upset from the daycare experience that he wanted to nurse, and latched on for about 15 minutes total. (both sides) I know he got a little bit of a letdown, because I could hear his gulps...but then he was done- pulled away and wouldn't go back, so we gave him his normal bottle.

I am still pumping at home, but not at work. I also started to hand express (although my poor breasts are sore!) and it is amazing what the hospital grade pump couldn't get out!

I am possibly going to return to being a stay-at-home mommy, so I am going to keep pumping, offering him the breat when he eats, and taking all of the supplements until I get that figured out. It is just tough to work on the supply issue when you work...as I am sure many know.

I have taken a lot of suggestion, but I think the biggest issue is that I can't get him back on so easily- and I know that if I could, my supply would get back up to par...or at least a lot better!

Don't really have any advice for you. Just and good luck. It's great that your being so dedicated for your lo. Have you tried skin to skin?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!