Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any crackers that are healthy for 13mo?

Default Any crackers that are healthy for 13mo?

Don't give me any cr@p about it , but what started out as a one time thing, has turned into a habit. My DD loves Ritz crackers! I know they have too much salt, enriched flour and the 3rd ingredient is sugar.

What are some healthier alternatives for her?
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Any crackers that are healthy for 13mo?

IMO, anything that's a whole grain cracker is great, as long as she's passed the 4-day wait rule with the ingredients (if that applies to babies over one year old). My ds is only 9 mo, but I hope he can eat either Triscuits or Wheat Thins. Each is available in low sodium varieties and made with whole grains which are better for digestion and nutrition. Ask your ped. just to be sure that these are okay. I bet more seasoned or veteran mommies will have more info. I wondered if the Triscuits are too grainy and if the Wheat Thins are too hard.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I give my dd the Kashi brand whole grain crackers and she loves them. They are a healthier brand- you can check the ingredients. She also loves the Kashi cheddar crackers. She's 16 mo now and she's had these for a few months now- I just break them into smaller pieces for her. I shop at Kroger here and they are in the organic section- not a bad price either.

Look for Ak Mak crackers. They are made with very few ingrediants and are very wholesome and good. They can usually be found in the health food isle.

http://www.amazon.com/Ak-Mak-Sesame-.../dp/B000H225TU
    Here is what they look like....

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by emmamom View Post
    I give my dd the Kashi brand whole grain crackers and she loves them. They are a healthier brand- you can check the ingredients. She also loves the Kashi cheddar crackers. She's 16 mo now and she's had these for a few months now- I just break them into smaller pieces for her. I shop at Kroger here and they are in the organic section- not a bad price either.
    Kashi FANATIC here! I haven't tried their crackers yet, just the granola bars, cereals, and pizza. YUM!!!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

have you tried the late july brand - they are organic and make a ritz like cracker -they are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by excited2bemama View Post
    Look for Ak Mak crackers. They are made with very few ingrediants and are very wholesome and good. They can usually be found in the health food isle.

http://www.amazon.com/Ak-Mak-Sesame-.../dp/B000H225TU
    Here is what they look like....
    Ack Mak Junkie right here! These are the BEST. These are so good we use them as flat bread. Like instead of toast we use Ack Mack cracker. I take Ack Mak with cream cheese instead of a sandwich for lunch. The seasame makes these crackers GREAT!!!
    The thing about healthy vs. not is it's learned. All kids WILL take the salty sugary Ritz if you let them. But if you give them wheat crackers every day, they love them just as easily. The same is true of you. I swear if you would have told me before I had this kid I'd be eating fruit and nuts and wheat crackers EVERY DAY for lunch on an effort to maintain and teach good eating habits, I probably would have opted to just NOT get pregnant. But I swear we never have less than two boxes of Ack Mak in the house because I use them in place of bread.

Way too lazy for formula

What kinds of stores sell Ack Mak-regular or more health-oriented?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Ack Mak Junkie right here! These are the BEST.
    I bought some Ak-Maks for the kids. They never got a chance to try them because I ate them all.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    What kinds of stores sell Ack Mak-regular or more health-oriented?
    Yes I get them at Trader Joes and Whole Foods...But I think it's also depends on your Area....because in Berkeley I have found them at Safeway too!!!

Way too lazy for formula