Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: to adjust or not to adjust, that is the question

Default to adjust or not to adjust, that is the question

What has been your experience(s) with adjusted vs. chronological age?

My twins were 5.5 weeks early and the ped has never adjusted for their growth charts or developmental milestones.

Default Re: to adjust or not to adjust, that is the question

My dd was 6 weeks early and my pedi never adjusted when it came to growth charts or anything like that, i just know that even though she is in the lower end of her percentiles that she is gaining 2 lbs a month which is what she is supposed to. As far as other developmental milestones, just take into consideration that they are early and somethings will come in time. just take walking as an example - it is in the normal ranger to walk between 10 and 15 months - that's a big range but each baby is different. I would and do keep my LO's environment full of appropriate stimuli and talk and read to her as much as possible. Being in the dev psych field, i've tried not to drive myself crazy with making sure she is doing everything by the book because she is writing her own at this point HTH and your babies will gro up before you know it

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

My twins were 5 weeks early as well, and I am concerned about this issue too. I want to do everything I can to keep them on track so they don't get "behind". It's hard with preemies and twins b/c they want to sleep so much and you want them to so they'll grow and gain weight and you want to give them equal "mommy" time to help develop their sweet little brains =)

Mine were 5 weeks early - at first my doc did not adjust for age. When I questioned it (since the twins were below the 1%), he checked for the adjustment, and they were at the 2-3 %. It is not a big deal. As long as the baby/babies is growing at a consistant rate.

As far as milestones, throw out the books. It does not matter unless there is gross delay, and you will see that without a book.

Twins and mommy time - just nurse on demand, they will get mommy time

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here