Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flax Seed oil & Psoriasis

Default Flax Seed oil & Psoriasis

Has anyone ever taken Flax Seed Oil for help with skin problems like psoriasis or excema? Is it ok to take while BF? Has anyone taken if & if so, did it help your skin? thanks
    Jennifer, 1st time mom to Noah. Born August 27,07 by c-section after 12 hours of labor.

Check out my website
    www.myspagirlparties.com/jennifermorris

Default Re: Flax Seed oil & Psoriasis

I believe flax seed oil is sometimes used for thrush treatments. hmmmm.

my father has an extremely severe case of plaque psoriasis. he takes flax oil daily for the awesome health benefits, but unfortunately it hasn't really done much for the psoriasis. i use flax oil in cooking sometimes and i know moms here who use powdered flax seed too, so i would think it's fine while bf'ing. hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I've used flax seed and hemp seed oil in the past. I would put it into some fresh juice. I prefer to just grind up my flax and eat it with oatmeal or cereal. I did feel a difference in my skin. Try coconut oil which is really good for you. My skin was so soft when I was using it. I really noticed the difference. There are many books on the benefits of coconut oil.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

Dr Sears in The baby book reccomends flax seed oil for costipated babies, so I'd think is totally ok for mums...

other info here

(remember not to heat it up: see here)

just to mention, psoriasis and eczema are two VERY different things... psoriasis is a skin desease for which a real cure hasn't been discovered yet, so flax won't help for that (as somebody has already mentioned), though eczema can surely benefit form its use (unless it's caused by stress, I think... )

hth!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Psoriasis is an auto-immune type thing, right?

I think flax is fine while BFing.

I take cod liver oil for my "chicken skin", and DD for her cradle cap. Depending on whether it's really psoriasis or not, you might consider cod liver oil. The vitamin A is important for healthy skin.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

If you're still interested, I've found this.
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Thanks for all your help ! I want to use it for me & the hopes of it helping the lo from breastfeeding. I have psoriasis & he has excema. I know that it's good for lots of things so I though I could give it a try to see if he would get the benefit of it helping his skin through my breastmilk. He has his 6 month appt on Friday. I'm going to ask the doctor about it. Thanks alot
    Jennifer, 1st time mom to Noah. Born August 27,07 by c-section after 12 hours of labor.

Check out my website
    www.myspagirlparties.com/jennifermorris

Wow, I was just lurking even though my little guy is almost 9 months and ran across this... Anyway, flax seed oil is very high in omega vitamins (okay, my mind just went blank, but you know those good things for you) and it is so much safer than fish which can be high in mercury. We had a nutritionist recommend taking it when you are breastfeeding to get the extra nutrients, so it is good for that! About psoriasis, I wish I knew since I deal with that - I know when I've taken fenugreek to help with my supply, my psoriasis has seemed a little better and that is safe for you.

Good luck!
    Wendy

Omega threes are important in the manufacturing of the hormones needed to produce milk.