Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Working and Breastfeeding possible?

Question Working and Breastfeeding possible?

My baby is 9 weeks old and I am going back to work in 2 1/2 weeks. Does anyone who feeds on demand work part-time? How many bottles and how many ounces in each bottle for a 9 hour day? At home he is nursing every
    2-3 hours and usually falls asleep nursing or just pulls away. How do I provide enough bottles when he isn't on a regular nursing schedule. I looked at Kelly Mom, but I won't be able to pump as many times as he nurses while I'm at work so any advice?

Default Re: Working and Breastfeeding possible?

I have been pumping (thanks to thrush) since my LO was 7 weeks old. She will be 23 weeks on Wednesday. I pump every 2-3 hours during the day and I get usually 3 1/2 to 4 oz total at each session.

I find that my LO wants a bottle every 2-3 hours, and I give her a 4 oz bottle each time. Sometimes she will eat it all, sometimes she will leave a few ounces in the bottle. My LO is older then yours, she used to take 2-3 oz at each feeding (about every 2 hours) when she was your LO's age.

Good luck. I have found that the worst thing to do is obsess about how much you are getting at each session. I would be up at night worrying that I was going to have to suplement with formula. But for nearly 4 months, I have been able to meet her needs. Just try and nurse as much as possible when you are together.

It can be done!!
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

my lo is 10.5 weeks and she will take 4 oz every 3 hours , but she is a 3-4 hour eater, and that is her demand not mine, so if your lo eats every two hours or so, start with like a 3 oz bottle and see how long he will last and how much he will take. From working in childcare, the bfing moms that i worked with would send two to three bottles plus some frozen stash to use if we needed it. THis way there is always more there is need be. And i would pump whenever you feel the need to, Good Luck
    OH, and i have to go back to work on the 3rd, and I'm really not looking forward to it

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

I exclusively pump now since returning to work and LO prefers the bottle. She is 18 weeks. I send 3 oz. bottles. Sometiems she doesn't finish, sometimes she wants more. I started with 2 1/2 oz. bottles at 12 weeks when returning to work. I pump every 3 hours and produce around 24 oz. a day. (3-6 oz av. per session).
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I work full time and I pump 2 times/day and get about 3-4 oz each time. My LO usually only takes 1 bottle while I'm gone - and will sometimes drink the whole bottle! I thought I was doing a good thing by giving my FIL (who watches my LO) a 5 oz bottle but she sucks the whole thing down at once!
    So now I'm going to start giving him 2 3 oz bottles.