Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on when to add solids to morning schedule?

Default Need advice on when to add solids to morning schedule?

My 9 mth old seems ready to have a second meal so I want to add breakfast. The problem is, I don't know when to give it. She is awake 3 hrs before her first nap, she nurses very briefly when she gets up and then refuses me. Then an hour later she wants to nurse again and then its too close to naptime. So when do I give them? I don't like that she is snacking like this but I need her to take milk that second time as I am still too full from the nighttime. I also want to make sure she gets enough milk and I worry that if I give solids in between the two feedings, she will not take enough milk. Does anyone have any ideas??
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: Need advice on when to add solids to morning schedule?

maybe offer a small snack right after the first time, when she refuses the breast. you could offer something light, like fruit maybe?
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Have you tried offering her solids after she nurses?? Dd is almost 9 months and she gets up around 7 and nurses.. then around 730 Dh and I are eating breakfast she she whines to have some too. I just plop her in the highchair and give her some organic O's to self feed. It keeps her entertained and she eats a few. I don't really consider it a meal because I doubt my lo eats enough to full her up or that she is really hungry but she wants to eat when we are eating. By the way.. My lo nurses 8-9 times a day and eats solids 2-3 times a day .. But again its never enough that I would consider it a meal.. she insists on self feeding .. she has fun with it and trys new things and eats a little bit. During the day she is still nursing every 1.5-2 hours and then she sleeps about 10-12 hours at night without nursing or eating. I would just offer it and if she doesn't want it then so what...

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Thanks guys, I will try that. I was just worried that she would then not take enough milk when she nursed longer the second time. We'll see how it goes.

excited2bemama, our lo's sound so similar. This isn't the first post that you and I have had teh same prob, lol! We have been only nursing 6-7 times per day and she doesn't eat all night, usually 11 hrs for us. Now she seems to be breaking it into smaller snacks that I dn't love since she doesn't take a bottle and it keeps me around the house more. Not that I get out much anyway Thanks again for teh tips!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

HI-
    Yes we do seem to have the same problems with our lo's!!!
    But yeah keira gets up around 7am nurses, self feeds at 730 and by 830am wants to nurse again. Since I never feed her solids till she is full I figure it doesn't really affect what she drinks. She eats 2-3 times a day and hasn't lessened her nursing at all. I am going to try to not drop a nursing sesson until 12 months or until she can eat solids without gas issues, spitting up, poop problems etc!!! As long as you aren't stuffing her with solids but more offering her things to try etc I wouldn't think she would drop a nursing sesson or nurse any less.

Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    My Daily Blog

I definitely don't try and stuff her, my lo is a tank and doesn't really need extra calories. So far, she eats purees at lunch and I feed her till she stops acting excited and opening her mouth real wide in eagerness for the food. Its pretty funny. I just thought she was supposed to start having more meals now that she is almost 10 mths. Maybe I won't worry about it too much till later. She actually is adding nursing sessions, we never had that second one in the morning till recently. She just wants to go and play with my husband and realizes an hour later that she didn't eat enough. We mostly just have gas issues these days but the probiotics do seem to help. Have you tried them at all?? She still has issues with cereal even though she loves them so we are avoiding that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by abaker89 View Post
    I definitely don't try and stuff her, my lo is a tank and doesn't really need extra calories. So far, she eats purees at lunch and I feed her till she stops acting excited and opening her mouth real wide in eagerness for the food. Its pretty funny. I just thought she was supposed to start having more meals now that she is almost 10 mths. Maybe I won't worry about it too much till later. She actually is adding nursing sessions, we never had that second one in the morning till recently. She just wants to go and play with my husband and realizes an hour later that she didn't eat enough. We mostly just have gas issues these days but the probiotics do seem to help. Have you tried them at all?? She still has issues with cereal even though she loves them so we are avoiding that right now.
    Yeah I give me lo probotics 3 times a week. When I gave them to her daily she seemed to poop to much.. For now we are avoiding wheat and dairy and seem to be doing ok.

My Daily Blog

Are you SAHM? If you have the time this is what I do. . My LO is 10 months and I have been doing this for about 2 months. Wake up between 6&7 and nurse. The wait until an hour later (as he seems to have a really big first feeding) then I feed him cereal & fruit. I started with a stage 1 fruit --about 2 oz and about 2 TB cereal w/BM. Then about three hrs after he wakes up he goes into to nurse down to a nap. He usually takes a quick nurse on one side upon waking but I don't count that as a feeding. Sometimes he will go 3.5 or 4 hrs in the afternoon between feedings. When he does that he nurses better. HTH.
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

If you are a SAHM may I just say that after the morning feed and diaper change, Cheerios in the high chair bought me about 45minutes. He was FASCINATED with them! And actually ate some when he could get them in his mouth!!

Way too lazy for formula

I am at home, my problem is that she only nurses very briefly right when she wakes and then wants to nurse a lot more an hour later. I am very full from overnight and I want to be sure she eats the 2nd time but also have time for solids so I didn't know where to fit them. I don't know why she doesn't nurse fully right away. I'm sure she is hungry after 11 hrs w/o food!