Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: length of nursing and hind milk

Question length of nursing and hind milk

Hi, first some background. I have a three month old son and have been ebf with a nipple shield. I was given the nipple shield in the hospital by the lactation consultant after she had visited me three times to help me with getting my baby to latch on correctly. We just couldn't get him to latch on correctly. I have really small areola's so I don't know if that is part of it. He's been gaining weight and thriving. I haved tried to wean him off the nipple shield but stopped because of immense pain on my right breast. So the shield goes back on.
    I've heard that nipple shields can restrict your milk production and was wondering if this is what is happeneing to me now. My baby will nurse for 30-60 minutes every three hours or so during the day and night. He has never fallen off the breast; he either falls asleep or when he stops sucking and swallowing, I help break the latch. If he is nursing more than 15 mintues on each breast is he getting enough hind milk? His poops have been more green than yellow lately. Should he be nursing more on one breast instead of me switching sides?
    Also, I've pumped a few times to increase my milk supply and to have some stored "just in case". I've pumped after feeding my son and will pump between 3-5 oz. Is this too much to pump after he just ate? Does this mean that he isn't getting enough?
    Thanks for your time.

Default Re: length of nursing and hind milk

Hi ftm06,
    First, congratulations on your son!
    You are worried about your son and wonder if he's getting enough milk. And you are concerned about your milk supply, too, maybe because of the nipple shield. You wonder if he's feeding well then how are you able to pump several ounces after a feeding.
    Weight gain and output are a really good way to make sure baby is getting enough. You say he is gaining weight and thriving. This is good! What is his output like?
    You might be interested in this FAQ on the website.
    How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?
    Here's a quote from an article about changes in the recommendations about using nipple shields. "... newer silicone nipple shields that are now available have not been found to interfere with milk supply. Research has shown that they can be a useful tool to help babies breastfeed in certain situations." (The whole article can be found here, Surprises in the 2003 edition of The Breastfeeding Answer Book)
    It really sounds like you are doing a great job.

Mary

Hi Mary,

Thanks for getting back to me. I decided to try to nurse without the nipple shield and have now been "nipple shield free" for about a week and a half. Nursing is going well and my ds has adjusted to nursing without the shield without a fuss. He actually seems to be emptying my breasts more quickly without the shield.
    His output is great: lots of wet diapers and at least one big poop (and some small ones) each day.
    Thanks again for getting back to me. As a first time mom I have doubts about what I'm doing but this website has been so helpful and reassuring!

Glad to hear things are going so well!