Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tri-Vi-Sol with Iron

Default Tri-Vi-Sol with Iron

Hello again everyone. My wife and I went to Jack's first Ped. visit and the doctor was very impressed. Jack left the hospital at 7 lbs 12 0z and is now at 9lb 3 oz, while gaining around an inch and a half. He told us to keep up the good work and keep doing what we've been doing, which made us happy. He told us to buy Tri-Vi-Sol vitamin supplement drops and to use them daily. Any opinions on vitamin supplements and second, they are pretty difficult to give to Jack with the dropper in his mouth. He just spits it back up. I've read previous posts saying that the baby doesn't need them with breastfeeding and that too much of vitamins aren't good either.

Default Re: Tri-Vi-Sol with Iron

ok, refresh how old your son is.
    Many parents don't supplement with vitamins, bm is packed full... http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../vitamins.html

I got the Tri-vi-sol for vitamin D because my dd isn't getting any unfiltered sunlight in this cold weather. I hate the stuff - she'll only swallow a little, it stains everything black, and I don't know why they can't sell vitamin D alone instead of with vitamin A which I'd rather not give. But I plan to continue at least until the weather is better and I can be more confident of her getting enough sun for calcium absorption.

Jack is 15 days old today. My first attempt at giving jack the vitamin dosage was unsuccessful. Pretty much spit it all out all over his shirt.

Just look at who makes the vitamins--I think Enfamil? I am guessing your pedi is "paid" by pharm. and form. companies, just like mine . Everything related to pharm and form is "recommended" by my pedi. I think it is a personal choice, and my personal opinion/choice is that they are generally unnecessary in fullterm healthy infants.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I live in Michigan, and never gave the drops, nor were they recommended to me. My personal belief on giving vitamins to a breastfed baby is that a deficiency needs to be proven.

I give her a few drops at a time while she's leaning back in an infant chair, and always toward the back of the cheek on the right side (her right) of her mouth. I don't remember which parts of the tongue detect each taste, but she seems to take it best on that side.

Oh, and do use a bib or burp cloth -- it will ruin everything it touches.

It really washes out fine though I also give them (w/o iron) just for vitamin D b/c of the climate where I live. My DD actually likes it...and I've tasted the stuff I just do what Caprine does and give it toward the back of the mouth.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

2 things I wanted to add...

First is that newborns have a store of vitamin D that lasts for about 2 months, so a 15 day old doesn't need them yet and he'll probably take them better when he's a little older.

Second is that I agree with the posters who don't think vitamins are necessary...I am not the supplementing type at all. However, I work in the veterinary field so I relate it to cases I've seen there. Being indoors all the time, not getting any UVB is unnatural (and not the way humans evolved, either). A lot of animals suffer and die from metabolic bone disease - it is extremely common even when people do everything right nutritionally, but don't provide proper lighting. Calcium deficiency is a chronic and debilitating condition, and it's much harder to treat than prevent. You won't even know it's there until the body starts taking calcium out of the bones to use for muscle energy. I feel like that is a greater risk than what harm could come from giving the vitamins for a few months, and that's why I do.

If you live way up north (Alaska, NWT etc) then it's probably a good idea to give Vitamin D to your baby since its still pretty dark up there.
    Since DS was a summer baby we didn't give him any until October, and only on rare occasions. DS hates the stuff. DH and I actually tasted the stuff (it smells sweet we thought it may taste ok) and it is so GROSS. It has such a horrible aftertaste .

If you do want to give it to your LO you may want to do what my sister did. She gave my niece Vitamin D in the bath so they could just wipe up anything she spat out.
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011