Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frozen Breastmilk Yellow Layer?

Question Frozen Breastmilk Yellow Layer?

I just defrosted some frozen breastmilk (from 6/30/2006) and it formed a yellow layer on top where the fat layer forms. I had two bags of milk and they both made the same yellow layer after defrosting. The milk itself smells good.

Is that just the fat changing consistency from being frozen?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Default Re: Frozen Breastmilk Yellow Layer?

Hi Reesa! I don't know the answer to this but I've also noticed the same thing recently. The milk smelled and tasted okay so I'm assuming it's just discoloration from being frozen. Hopefully someone will answer with more information!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

I have noticed that mine has changed a lot in the past month-frozen and fresh. I think it is due to the fact that it is HOT and our milk changes color and consistancy (mine is much more watery and my rings of fat are less thick) to adjust to the weather.HTH!

Anybody?

I found this on line ...

Why does my refrigerated and frozen breast milk look weird?

Breast milk that's been frozen or refrigerated may look a little different from fresh breast milk, but that doesn't mean it's gone bad. It's normal for breast milk to look slightly blue, yellow, or brown when refrigerated or frozen. And it may separate into a creamy, yellow looking layer and a lighter, more milk-like layer.

I have frozen EBM because I couldn't bear to throw it out, and keep it for an emergency, but have never used it as of yet. I have noticed the same thing on some of mine in the freezer.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you Paint-the-Moon and all who replied!

The color of breastmilk changes from day to day. It even changes with what we eat.

As long as your milk doesn't smell sour (like sour, rotten cow's milk would smell), then rest assured that it is good.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/color.html
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/mothe...stmilklooklike

HTH!