Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help for a friend

Default Help for a friend

OK so I have an online friend who needs some help nursing her new LO. Her DD was born Feb 16th and started out nursing great. Now that they are home she is sleeping like 5 hours between feedings during the day and nursing 2-3 hours at night. Jenn said she's done everything to try and wake her during the day and she's not having it. She's also jaundice which has the doctor worried. Jenn also said she has red bumps on her breast about the size of a quarter. That sounds like the start of mastitis, right?

Any suggestions?
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

Default Re: Help for a friend

I've suggested she contact a LC and even find a LLL leader. I've shown her this site too. I think I'm going to have her log on and give you guys more info so you can be of more help.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

Perhaps something here might help?

I've also heard that sleepy babies can be woken with a cool, wet washcloth rubbed on their heads, going against the grain of the hair. HTH, and s to your friend!

I would give a friend the same advice about contacting an LC and signing up for the LLL forum.

As far as the jaundice is concerned - it can last a month or more in newborns as far as I know. My son was jaundiced for over 4 weeks. It took that much time for the yellow to completely clear from the whites of his eyes. We were counseled by some friends to give him formula but that can actually make the problem worse.

DS was also extremely sleepy and difficult to wake (plus he wasn't latching on well at all.) We would strip him naked and run a cold water washcloth over him to keep him awake. It was the only thing that worked. As you probably know, she should try and wake her daughter every 2 hours or so for a feeding - especially if she's difficult to wake. Another thing that might work is a warm bath together. These often end in nursing sessions!

Has she tried a supplemetal feeding system? Getting some pumped BM into the baby might give her the strength she needs to wake up on her own.

Good luck to her! Let us know if she registers...
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

my youngest had jaudice, and lost 3/4's of a lb. she was also sleepy. i had to strip her off, but 1st, b4 i started her feeding, i would change her. changing her b4 hand seemed to help wake her up. during the day, i would feed her every 1.5 hrs, and at night every 2-3 hrs. after she started to gain weight, i stopped feeding on a schedule and let her feed on demand. i did the feeding every 1.5 hrs to help flush the bilirubin out. i had read a very small paragraph in my pregnancy book about mothers who have O type blood who give birth to babies with A, B, or AB. the babies are more likely to have jaundice, something to do with the anitbodies of their blood fighting with mom's. i did not have the problem with my older 2, as my ex also had type ) blood. within a week, she was back to her birth weight.
    funnily enough, within 2 nights of feeding every 1.5 hrs during the day, and 2-3 hrs at night, hanna started sleeping better at night. it was as if she started to get her days/nights sorted out. when she fed at night, i would change her, feed her, and she would go back to sleep.

Emma July 1st, 1995 10lbs 7oz

Liam October 1st,1996 10lbs 1oz

Hanna December 15th, 2007 9lbs 8oz (2 weeks early!)
    1 month: 12lbs 9oz
    2 months: 14lbs 9oz
    4 months: 16lbs

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaUAE View Post

Another thing that might work is a warm bath together. These often end in nursing sessions!

Quoted for truth!! A lot of skin to skin contact is sure to work.

Can you describe the red bumps a little more? Are they raised up high or just a patch of reddish-pink color? Any other symptoms? Mastitis is usually accompanied by a fever and engorgement, severe pain as well.